VMware Cloud Community
simonk27
Contributor
Contributor

QLogic HBA is slower than SW Initiator

Hello folks,

I am using a QLogic QLE4062c HBA in my ESXi 5.1. When testing perfomance, I get 85 MB/s read and 75 MB/s write. When I test the same volume with ESXi software initiator, I get a nice 106 MB/s read and write.

As a side note: I am using the same QLogic HBA in a non-ESXi server and I get 100 MB/s read and write.

I always tought HBA get better perfomance than software initiator. Why do I lose that much? Are there some know issues? Do you have an idea how I can tweak things up?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Note: Discussion successfully moved from Technical Resources to VMware vSphere™ Storage

What is the storage system, and what details can you provide about the setup you used?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
simonk27
Contributor
Contributor

Storage is a Open-E DSS V6 RAID6 and the volume is connected via iSCSI. But the bottleneck is not the storage, because I am getting full gigabet speed, when I test with the ESXi software initiator.

0 Kudos
simonk27
Contributor
Contributor

Does anybody have an idea?

0 Kudos