VMware Cloud Community
IainG
Contributor
Contributor

Provisioned vs Used Storage

Hi All

I am looking at our vSphere Client and have found that a few of my servers are displaying the Used Storage to be the same as the Provisioned Storage, however when I go onto my server I am only using half of what the used is saying. Can somebody please shed some light on this for me?

When I go into the console of the server and check the space I have 27 GB left, I'm a little puzzled as to where the rest of the used space is coming from.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

The used storage shows your provisioned disk, your snapshots of that maschine and the swap-files for the RAM.

So a VM with 10GB disk, a snapshot and 2GB RAM might in worst case show 22GB used storage.

athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi All

I am looking at our vSphere Client and have found that a few of my servers are displaying the Used Storage to be the same as the Provisioned Storage, however when I go onto my server I am only using half of what the used is saying. Can somebody please shed some light on this for me?

When I go into the console of the server and check the space I have 27 GB left, I'm a little puzzled as to where the rest of the used space is coming from.

Thanks

You use thick or thin provisioned disk? you should get VM "Used

Storage" size similar to the "provisioned storage" when you are using

thick disk. While for thin disk, it will show the only amount of data

consumed the disk.

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
IainG
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information, I think this one may have been set up with thick whereas the rest have been set up with thin and look correct. I'll investigate this more, thanks again for the information guys.

0 Kudos