VMware Cloud Community
legsak1mbo
Contributor
Contributor

Promise VTrak E610f

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my old VMware server setup to vSphere. We currently have a Promise VTrak E610f (dual controller) which I'd like to use as a datastore for two vSphere hosts (Dell R815s). Currently the VTrak is attached to an XServe but I'd like to buy a fibre channel switch and attach it to the two Dells. However, I can't get a definitive answer as to whether this will work and provide full vSphere functionality (vMotion, HA etc.)

I emailed Promise and they said that it will work perfectly with no additional hardware or software (other than the FC switch) but several resellers have told me that I'll also need SAN management software such as SAN Melody. They say that this is so more than one host can access an individual LUN on the array but as I understand it that's what VMFS allows.

Can anyone confirm if a Promise VTrak attached to two vSphere hosts via a fibre channel switch will do everything that I want and if not explain why I'd need the SAN management software? Does the VTrak constitute a fibre channel SAN?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
sgpatio
Contributor
Contributor

Usually the fibre channel switch comes with managment software of some kind, and what you propose should work.

I'd be interested in hearing how this works out for you since the VTrak is pretty inexpensive as far as active/active dual controller arrays are concerned.

0 Kudos
sgpatio
Contributor
Contributor

A little extra reading shows SAN Melody to be a vSphere plugin. Probably not necessary, but still useful.

0 Kudos
legsak1mbo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I've decided to go ahead with the VTrak setup so will let you know how it works.

I decided against SAN Symphony as the cost was too high for a school of our size, tough economic times etc.

0 Kudos
TVirtualization
Contributor
Contributor

Hi legsak1mbo,

I've been intersted in doing the same except with a PowerEdge R710 and 2850, both running ESX 4. I was told the e610f only supports Mac, though. Have you been able to try this out yet? I'd be very interested to hear what your results were.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sgpatio
Contributor
Contributor

Whoever told you that the Promise arrays are Mac only is misinformed.

0 Kudos
TVirtualization
Contributor
Contributor

Promise told me the e6104f specifically was a Mac-only array.

0 Kudos
sgpatio
Contributor
Contributor

The E-series compatibility list clearly says otherwise.

http://www.promise.com/support/download_file.aspx?rsn=749&m=205&region=en-US

0 Kudos
legsak1mbo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi TVirtualization,  Interesting that you posted this because I actually set it up today - so far so good!  I've only set up one Logical Drive thus far (a RAID 10 set using 8 x 450GB 15k SAS drives in the main chassis) but all seems to be working perfectly. vCenter saw the storage straight away and I was able to move a VM from a Dell iSCSI array that we have on to the VTrak. I was then able to live migrate the VM between the two R815s with no problems at all.  I'll update you over the next few days as I get more logical drives created.  Regarding the Mac-only thing, there is a model of the VTrak which has special firmware and is sold by Apple resellers and I don't believe is VMware certified (luckily, despite ours coming from an Apple reseller it's a standard VTrak). You can find information and some relevant serial numbers here http://firstweb.promise.com/support/download/download_agree4.asp?fpath=Channel_Firmware_2.5.zip  Hope that's useful, I'll be back with more shortly...

0 Kudos
TVirtualization
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that was very helpful! If those are the only serials for the model that are associated with Apple-only firmware, we may actually not be locked to using it with an Xserve as I thought. Would you mind elaborating on what you intend to do with the fibre channel switch? Are you also hoping to access the same logical drive from two different servers (and read/write the data simultaneously from each server)?

0 Kudos