VMware Cloud Community
Jdeb68
Contributor
Contributor

PowerPath Not installed on Host - EMC VSI plugin

Here is  a quick summary of what I am dealing with at a customer.Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas.

Environment vSphere 4.1 all hosts at ESXi 4.1.- have been all patched to most current patch levels.

Hosts: HP BL 460c G7 - System Firmware updated to most current available.

Build: HP OEM build February 2011.

EMC Powerpath: 5.4 SP2

During Installation, I have verified Lockdown mode is disabled.

From the PowerPath License Server, I receive “Host not Found” error, when trying to check registration or register a host using rpowermt.

The KB articles from EMC / VMware / HP all point to issues with the HP CIM bundles. The fix is to 1). remove HP CIM extensions, restart host; 2). Reinstall PowerPath and restart host; 3.) license PowerPath/VE   4). Reinstall HP agents again.

Upon performing these steps, I have been able to register the hosts with the license server. I can also verify system is licensed via SSH session viewing powermt check_registration.

Within vSphere 4 Client with EMC VSI plug in with rpowermt tools available and functioning. Everything seems to be fine...but...

VSI tab works fine:

When vSphere Client shows no or very little activity / tasks, selecting the VSI tab, everything is fine - shows EMC PowerPath is installed - all is fine.

VSI tab not working:

When vSphere Client shows a high level of activity / vmotion activities selecting VSI tab - responds with PowerPath NOT Installed.Also at this point,

from license server run powermt host=%hostip% check_registration. This fails and responds with “Host Not Found”

As the tasks are completed / light load on vCenter, refreshing the VSI tab once again reflects PowerPath is installed. Also at this point the license server is able to successfully verify the host is licensed.

This has been tested from multiple vSphere Clients as well.

Here are some KB articles that relate but do not reflect the inconsistent reporting by vSphere client.

·         "ERROR: PowerPath Not Found after updating VMware"

http://knowledgebase.emc.com/emcice/documentDisplay.do?docType=1006&clusterName=DefaultCluster&resul...

·         "Unable to register PowerPath/VE with ESXi 4 host with built-in HP CIM extensions"

http://knowledgebase.emc.com/emcice/documentDisplay.do?docType=1006&clusterName=DefaultCluster&resul...

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jturver
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are seeing exactly this issue with PPVE 5.4 SP2 P01

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Many thanks

Justin

0 Kudos