VMware Cloud Community
rellis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P2000G3 - Paid Support

We have a long-standing issue with a P2000G3 storage array
and I am trying to bring the problem to a definitive resolution.

The fundamental issue is that we are experiencing intermittent
LUN disconnects. This has been occurring since we shifted away from ESXi 4.x to
ESXi 6.0.

The P2000G3 is not on the HCL for ESXi 6.

If I raise a Paid Support Incident, will VMware make a
genuine effort to provide me with a diagnosis of the issue, or will they decline
to look into it properly on the basis of non-HCL-compliance?

What I am looking for from the Paid Support Incident is either
a reassurance that the issue is definitely caused by an actual incompatibility
(in which case I will feel confident in investing in alternative storage to
solve the problem) or, some other configuration issue (in which case it is
worth continuing to troubleshoot the problem with the existing storage).

I don’t want pay for a support incident if VMware will just
say: “we won’t investigate – it isn’t on the HCL”

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

VMware will not entertain cases  which are not in HCL, first and most important thing they will check is if we run with supported hardware. Still they will try to find the cause of the issue however there is not guarantee of solution. At then end you will end up in many assumptions and suggestion from VMware.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
rellis123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This seems to be a contradictory answer.

You say they will not investigate...

VMware will not entertain cases  which are not in HCL, first and most important thing they will check is if we run with supported hardware

then you say they will investigate...

they will try to find the cause of the issue

Obviously there is no guarantee of a solution outside the HCL. That is a given.

My question is whether or not an investigation will be forthcoming if I raise a Paid Support Incident.

It must be a matter of policy. Either they will or won't. That's what I want to know.

thanks

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Sorry, if it caused you confusion. Let me clarify

they will try to find the cause of the issue   --- this is on best effort basis. On best effort basis they may agree to investigate the issue to some extent by reviewing the logs and giving possible recommendation.

It must be a matter of policy. Either they will or won't. That's what I want to know.   --- there is no hard rule to reject the SR saying unsupported storage. I never seen VMware rejecting SR just because of unsupported hardware, they try their level best to help customer to some extent with a disclaimer saying this could be due to unsupported hardware/storage.

To know more about policy, since it is a paper incident. I would suggest to contact VMware customer support representative and explain the scenario. At the end VMware is the final authority to decide. I am giving my inputs based on my experience as I ve seen VMware provided support even when some unsupported hardwares used to some extent.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos