VMware Cloud Community
AZ87
Contributor
Contributor

One storage Lun, two vcenters with different hosts

Hi, noob question. We have storage with one LUN and something about 100 vms on vCenter 5.5 with 3 host, and we have second vCenter in 7.0 version with 3 another host. So what we want is migrate from 5.5 to 7.0 without turning off all at once. Is there any issue to use same lun on two vcenters at once ? The idea is to turn off one vm on 5.5 vCenter and turn it on on second vCenter 7.0. That will work without anny issue with that datastore lun ? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

The source and destination vCenter Server instances and ESXi hosts must be 6.0 or later.

To migrate virtual machines with disks larger than 2TB, the source and target ESXi hosts must be version 6.0 and later.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-DAD0C40A-7F66-...

It is always advisable to perform a full backup of the VM or VMs to be migrated.

If the External Storage is shared between Hosts 5.5 and Host 7 you could try a cold migration which would be to unregister (alert not delete) the VM from host 5.5 and then register it on host 7.
You also have to consider that the VM OS is supported on Version 7, the network configuration and any other VM features.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
AZ87
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, cold migration is a thing i consider. But my question is will be any problem / error / inconsistency if two separated vcenters will write to same LUN but different vms ? 

0 Kudos