VMware Cloud Community
marco_shaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Number of paths to a datastore

VMware vSphere 6.0

I might be light on details, but I don't quite know where to start.  I'm a "SAN beginner", but have been handed a built system and expected to support it.

I have a NetApp SAN that presents it's LUNs to a VMware environment.  I noticed an existing datastore only shows two paths when I check "Datastores", "Datastore Details":

one.png

However, a new LUN that was already configured on the SAN and that I just configured in NetApp to present to the same ESXi hosts is showing 8 paths:

eight.png

I'm not quite sure where to start to figure out the difference.  Both LUNs are being presented to the same number of hosts.

Where can I start to figure out if this is a "problem"?

3 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hello!

How many ESXi hosts do you have? First of all you need to check all hosts and number of paths to your datastores, because your probably took a screenshot from VC and check only one host, probably.

So cleack on each host and check number of paths.

Than, can you tell: do you use FC or iSCSI connectivity to your NetApp storage?

marco_shaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  I'll try to detail out what I have and that will be a good exercise.  The number that shows there just doesn't make sense when I go and compare what I see there and the different environments I have access to.  I'm also trying to open a low severity case with VMware support so that I can be certain that I don't have a technical problem.

From what I've gathered so far, I am connected by FC (via Brocade switches "embedded" in an HPE chassis).

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Do all hosts show only 2 paths to this LUN or only one host? Also is this a 7-Mode or Cluster Mode array?

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos