VMware Cloud Community
orthompson
Contributor
Contributor

New SSD Not Showing in vCenter or ESXi

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to VMWare/ESXi.  I just added (1) SSD to each of my three hosts, but it is not showing anywhere in vCenter.  I rescanned all three hosts to discover new storage/vmfs volume and nothing.  I also ran various commands (esxcli storage core path list, esxcli storage core device list, esxcli storage vmfs extent list, esxcli storage filesystem list), and can only see the two HDDs that already existed.

The SSDs we installed are Seagate ST4000DX001 (hybrid SSD).  In addition, we are using ESXi 6.0U2.  I appreciate any help on resolving this so that we can enable VSAN.  Thanks!

-Octavia

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert

As you have not yet created a vmfs volume on the new drive, it will not automatically appear as a datastore.  Can you try adding new storage and follow the wizard?

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
orthompson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Vfk,

Thanks for your reply.  I ended up having to go into BIOS and initialize the drive for RAID 0.  All is well now. 

0 Kudos