VMware Cloud Community
m1kkel84
Contributor
Contributor

New FC storage - 19000 IO 60% CPU load

Hey guys.

Im new to FC storage, so i have a few questions. My storage is a hjp msa p2000 G3 with ducl 8 GB fc controllers, san switch and one single port hba in each server.

got one raid 5 with 12 sas 6g 10k disks

in iometer, on one virtual host (server 2008 r2) i get over 19.000 IOps witch is waaay too much for the configuration.. i think?

Next, the virtual machine is showing over 60% cpu load (single core) is that common, considering im pulling over 600 MB/sec? Its brocade 815 HBA's with latest drivers. Vmware 4.1 btw.

in the "real life 70% read / 30% write" test i only get about 600 IO ... is that to be expected?

Chunk size of raid is 64 K

0 Kudos
3 Replies
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi!

19k IOPS is pretty imaginary for that sort of SAN.

You're limited to the number of disks you're using. A 10k SAS disk usually performs ~140 IOPS. Add some cache to that for some numbers and remove for parity aswell.

How big disk are you using in your VM? Double the size of RAM available for the VM? Using PVSCSI Controller?

VCP3/VCP4/VTSP/VSP

MCTS: Virtualization

NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator

NetApp Accredited Storage Architect Professional

m1kkel84
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is. i would expect about 5000 tops.

The disk in the vm is 50 GB - what is pvscsi controller?

0 Kudos
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You won't be getting 5000 iops from a MSA, not with 12 disks. I'd expect a maximum of 2000 with some caching reads.

PVSCSI is VMware's paravirtualized scsi controller that comes with Virtual HW7, I'd suggest using that for data disks.

Adding PVSCSI: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010398

VCP3/VCP4/VTSP/VSP

MCTS: Virtualization

NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator

NetApp Accredited Storage Architect Professional

0 Kudos