VMware Cloud Community
bheusmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NetApp FAS2040 Space Distribution for vSphere 5

Hi All,

I have a NetApp2040 with 8 internal 300GB drives (3 reserved for aggr0 root) and 1 DS14 MK2 AT shelf attached with 14 250GB hard drives. I have 2 vSphere 5.1 hosts. What would be the best way to "divide" the storage up for the servers? One Aggregrate both hosts can access via iSCSI, or more than one aggregate? I do not have a NFS license for the NetApp so iSCSI is my method of connection. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

-BH

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'd tend to agree with vmroyale - I prefer one aggr to avoid additional parity and dparity disk loss. As long as your OnTAP supports that many disks (I can't recall the max/min values for 7.34 and older).

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to VMware vSphere™ Storage

I would think one aggregate that both hosts can access, but are you doing anything else like replication?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
bheusmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, no repliation, it's a small site. It's basically goign to be running MIcrosoft TMG, some DC's, Exchange, and maybe a few odds and end applications. Small user base, less than 20. I have another controller for the FAS2040 but seeing as I don't have another shelf (Well, populated shelf) or NetApp Head, active/active doesn't really do much for this.

-BH

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'd tend to agree with vmroyale - I prefer one aggr to avoid additional parity and dparity disk loss. As long as your OnTAP supports that many disks (I can't recall the max/min values for 7.34 and older).

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos