VMware Cloud Community
zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Native Multipathing Plugin question and Storage Mode Active /Active , Active/passive discovery

Hi everyone.

Let say we have  a  NET APP Storage array with two Storage processors. These processors are configured as active active. Assume we have multiple paths between  ESXI and this storage array.

We want to implement multi path and we would like to  use NMP plug-in.

1) Do we have to tell ESXI that Storage array is using active active or it is something ESXI discovers automatically via communication with Storage array?

2) If  EXSI does not discover the Storage Mode  ( Active/Active or Active/Passive) on its won, does  Operator have to  tell ESXI via configuration what SATP to use  say active active?

Thanks and have a good weekend!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The rules for the NMP to be used are typically already defined within ESXi by default. So when you connect the storage array and ESXi discovers it, it should typically be configured correctly. I do recommend validating it of course just to make sure. If it hasn't discovered it correctly you can manually override it by setting a claim rule for the system, you need to do this on each host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator note: Moved to vSphere Storage

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The rules for the NMP to be used are typically already defined within ESXi by default. So when you connect the storage array and ESXi discovers it, it should typically be configured correctly. I do recommend validating it of course just to make sure. If it hasn't discovered it correctly you can manually override it by setting a claim rule for the system, you need to do this on each host.

0 Kudos
zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

Does ESXI discovers the Storage Mode automatically or we have tell ESXI what mode the Storage array is using via SATP ?

I understand we can ask ESXI to discover Storage but I was not sure it that also entails discovering Storage Mode.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For each storage device managed by NMP, an ESXi host uses a path selection policy (Fixed, Round Robin, Most Recently Used). Just remember the following points:

1. In RR policy if there is an A/P storage, only all active adapter will be selected.
  2. For MRU policy (default for A/P) if the adapter is unavailable, ESXi automatically will switch to other available adapters and never fails back to the old used adapters even it's recovered from failure.
  3. But in Fixed policy (default for A/A) after the failed adapter is recovered, ESXi storage traffic will return to it immediately.
Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos