VMware Cloud Community
zeebahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NFS versus ISCSI for VM storage

Hi everyone,

We can store VM files in a centralized storage so we can do Vmotion, HA etc,  being new to VMs, I am trying to understand why one should choose one over the other. So far,  I have seen by using NFS, we can avoid dealing with LUNS on storage site.

Thanks and have a good day!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I guess it is a preference mostly at this point. VMFS (iSCSI) vs NFS is not really a discussion anymore. If you feel comfortable with NFS and it meets your requirements, go for it. If you prefer iSCSI with VMFS, go for it. As long as the storage system has the services you need (snaps / replication etc), at the price point you are looking for, then just go for it. I honestly haven't had this discussion in years. It is more about the type of solution (HCI vs traditional storage), operational complexity etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I guess it is a preference mostly at this point. VMFS (iSCSI) vs NFS is not really a discussion anymore. If you feel comfortable with NFS and it meets your requirements, go for it. If you prefer iSCSI with VMFS, go for it. As long as the storage system has the services you need (snaps / replication etc), at the price point you are looking for, then just go for it. I honestly haven't had this discussion in years. It is more about the type of solution (HCI vs traditional storage), operational complexity etc.

CurtisGrice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use iSCSI because thats what I know. One good case for NFS is that is not stored on a VMFS. This means that you can easily access the VM files from outside of vSphere. I tend to use an NFS datastore in read only mode to store my ISOs and OVAs because I can use the built in Windows NFS client to drag and drop the files. I'm lazy like that.

0 Kudos