VMware Cloud Community
phspok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NFS Limits

I am struggling to get a definative answer to what limits there are when using NFS for vmdks

As there is no VMFS 2 Tb limit as such, I assume that the NFS share can be as big as the

vendor can do? as in 16Tb depending on array. But does the 2Tb file size limit still apply?

Many Thanks

Matt.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

NFS datastore size is not limited, but vmdk still has to be 2TB or less.

Check http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_config_max.pdf.

"In other words the maximum VMDK file size on an NFS server is still 2TB.

I seem to recall some maximum with NFS being at or around 16TB though."

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The notion of a 16TB NFS datastore limitation is nothing to do with VMware; it’s the typical file system size limit for most NFS storage systems. When the NFS storage system has this limit, then so too do the NFS datastores. NFS file systems up to 256TB are available with a global name space that provide up to a 4PB name space. This means a datastore can grow up to 4PB or 256 times larger than a 16TB datastore, though I have no idea if VMware supports NFS stores over 16TB

The 2GB file/vmdk limitation is on VMFS and doesnt apply to NFS.

hope this helps.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

NFS datastore size is not limited, but vmdk still has to be 2TB or less.

Check http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_config_max.pdf.

"In other words the maximum VMDK file size on an NFS server is still 2TB.

I seem to recall some maximum with NFS being at or around 16TB though."

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
phspok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys

I am unable to find anything in config_max that says vmdks are limited to 2T other than on VMFS

Have you created a vmdk larger than 2T on NFS?

I understand that there is no VMFS limit, and the share can be whatever the vendor

can manage, but I am curious to know that someone actually has created a 2T + vmdk

Thanks again

Matt.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Sorry - please ignore my first comment regarding vmdk size - been a long day. As MauroBonder says, a VMDK is limited to 2TB regardless of what filesystem it is on.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
phspok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok

Thanks for the correction, that was my understanding, I am still curious as to where this information

can be found? I can find nothing in any VMWare docs or KBs about it.

Matt.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Its in the config maximums doc:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_config_max.pdf.

0 Kudos