VMware Cloud Community
Viewaskew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NFS 3 Datastore Reported Usage Conflicting with VM Storage Used

I have a 4TB NFS-3 datastore. On the datastore summary screen it shows 1.3 TB used. When I export the VM list and add up the provisioned and used space it's approx. 6TB provisioned and nearly 4 TB used. One VM has 2 TB provisioned and 1.88 TB used.

I can't see how a VM is saying 1.88 TB used but the datastore is saying only 1.3 TB in total is being used.

Looking at the storage volume it shows the same as the summary page, 1.3 TB used. 

Also to make matters more confusing, RVTools reports the same space used (1.3 TB) but its provisioned figure is only 4 TB. 

Can anyone shed any light as to why the datastore says its 3.8 TB provisioned but the VMs provisioned total is >6 TB?

I appreciate there's de-dupe and compression features on the backend but I didn't think they could reduce it that much and none fo the VMs have RDMs attached which I'm aware play with storage used against storage provisioned.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you seen this post? It does have some good questions / answers. https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere-Discussions/Incorrect-datastore-provisioned-space-i...

0 Kudos