VMware Cloud Community
mrnick1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NAS Storage Recommendations

Hey,

We are looking to replace our storage. Currently we use a 6 node Isilon cluster, but these may have to be re purposed.

We use vSphere 5 for our less demanding servers and have around 70 machines on there spread over 6 Dell R610s. I'd want an NFS based solution as we use this at the moment and it works well.

We have around 10,000 GBP to play with. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TedH256
Expert
Expert

I would suggest a NetApp solution, but I have no idea whether any would fit in your budget (not knowing british currency values).

I am curious, though - why are you replacing the 6 node isilon solution - performance reasons, or something else? In my experience this should be a very robust solution - are there problems/issues that EMC has not been able to address?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

NetApp is good, EMC VNX and VNXe are extremely popular in this space.

(disclaimer - i work for EMC).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
mrnick1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions. (10,000GBP = 15,000USD)

Netapp looks good, I was looking at the FAS2xxx series, be interested to know if anyone has any experience with these. We had an Netapp before and it was bomb proof.

The Isilon's have generally been fine (apart from a horrible bug where they didn't work with CentOS guests on ESXi 4.x). We just need to re purpose them to add them to another cluster.

0 Kudos