VMware Cloud Community
Saintly
Contributor
Contributor

Moving a VM to a different datastore

Hi,

I was running out of space on one of my datastores so i descided to move one of my VMs to a different one.

I have ESXi v5.1 with Essentials plus so i don't have Storage vMotion so i shut down the VM and then Migrated Datastore to the new space.

Everything ticked along (quite slow) and eventualy finished without error.

I then restarted the VM, also without error.

Now when i go to Inverntory, Datastores and look in the new location i can see the server with all the expected numbers.

Capture1.PNG

But, if i look at the OLD location i can still see the server listed.  also the Used space numbers look odd.

Capture2.PNG

If i shutdown the VM them both locations stop.

I have moved 3 other servers in the same way, 2 worked without issue, 1 produced the same result.

I have refreshed the datastore view without change.

Any ideas what i may have done wrong or what i can do to fix it?

Thanks for your time

Ian

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Saintly
Contributor
Contributor

sorry that the images above look so small.  if you click them they are readable.

Ian

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

did you only move the VMDKs or the whole folder?

if you go to edit options you can also see the vmx location and working location of the vm.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Saintly
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I moved the VM useing the right click, migrate option rather than trying to move things manualy.  The same process worked for other VMs.

Looking at Edit, options tab it looks like everything is in the correct place to me.

Capture3.PNG

Any other ideas/options?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos