VMware Cloud Community
aurimask
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating to different SAN storage

Hello,

I need to change storage array in my environment and want to check the migration path. Is this is as simple as

1. Connect new storage array to existing servers;

2. Create new Datastore for existing VMware Cluster;

3. Move VMs form old Datastore to new (Storage vMotion or Offline);

4. Delete old Datastore;

5. Disconnect old storage from servers;

Are there any issues with a vSphere 4.0 cluster doing migration this way?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

Once you connect the new SAN Storage, make sure the paths redundancy and Multipathing along with Path selection for each lun is correct to make sure high availability and Active/Active paths are available.

Also, better to test all the redundancy components of the new SAN Storage correct, such as power, storage connections and array mapping by turning each components off/ON and then attempt your migration.

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds good. It should work this way.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think your plan is solid!  When your Enterprise Storage Team disolves the LUN(s) I would rescan your storage adapters one more time, just to ensure all paths are gone.

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is the procedure I would recommend. Make sure indeed to "rescan" in between removing volumes etc to ensure changes are pushed down as well.

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

Once you connect the new SAN Storage, make sure the paths redundancy and Multipathing along with Path selection for each lun is correct to make sure high availability and Active/Active paths are available.

Also, better to test all the redundancy components of the new SAN Storage correct, such as power, storage connections and array mapping by turning each components off/ON and then attempt your migration.

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos