Contributor
Contributor

Mid range storage - EMC ax4-5i vs. Promise VessRaid 1830i

Hi.

We're looking at a mid-range storage.

About 1000 iops average.

two current candidates:

EMC ax4-5i, with 12 750GB SATA disks.

Promise VessRaid 1830, with 12 500GB SATA disks.

Both with 2 SPs, 2GB RAM, etc.

the Promice price is about 55% of the EMC's one (yes, for less storage, about 3TB less - non issue).

1) Any experience with the Promise system ?

2) would these system satisfy the 1000 iops ? (salesmen answer - of course Smiley Happy))

Thanks,

Zeevik.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EscapoIT
Contributor
Contributor

1.000 IOPS or not will depend on a number of other factors;

- rotational speed of the drives (guessing 7.200rpm)

- which RAID level will be used

- size of the stripe

- %READ vs %WRITE (unless using RAID0)

In any case, I think you will struggle to get 1.000 IOPS out of 12 SATA drives in any configuration. Even if you are going to be using RAID 10 with a large stripe size and 99% read actions.

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Yes, SATA drives, 7200 RPMs

Planning on having a RAID-5 configuration.

Write is 90% (or higher). per VM.

0 Kudos
EscapoIT
Contributor
Contributor

Then no, I don't see you getting 1.000 random IOPS from that array. You mention losing 3TB raw space is a non-issue, if capacity is of less concern then IOPS (as it often is) then you should dump SATA all together and opt for SAS in my opinion.

zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will consider switching to SAS.

Main question is comparing the EMC to VessRaid.

Does someone has an experience with Promise VessRaid storage ??

0 Kudos
ToreTrygg
Contributor
Contributor

Not really staight answer, BUT, I've found news that Intel had the numbers 1000000 Input/Outputs. Here is the doc about it:

http://download.intel.com/support/network/sb/inteliscsiwp.pdf

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the link, but this relates to Intel's 10GbE Network cards, not to their RAID cards / storage systems.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Is the EMC product with two storage controllers? The Promise item has only one, with no options to add more.

I would load up the EMC with Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 drives (they come in sizes up to 600GB http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/servers/cheetah/cheetah_15k.7/) and really not worry about it. Each drive is rated at a sustained data rate of 171MB/sec. They are listed in the EMC tech spec's sheet (3.5" 600GB 15K RPM SAS drives). That would give you about 3.6TB of usable space (under RAID 10 of 12 drives)... How much space do you really need?

Since the Promise only has a single controller, I suspect that's one of the reasons it's almost half the price.

EMC does have a proven track record of quality products in the storage space. Especially when performance, and reliability, is necessary/critical.

I would also say to look at the EqualLogic solutions. I would go with SAS drives there too, in either one of the PS6000X/6000XV or PS6500X series arrays.

Both the EMC and EqualLogic arrays have much better expansion options compared to the Promise unit (another factor, I'm sure, in the lower price).

If you really do need high IOPs for the environment, then you'll need to spend the funds to get it. Don't expect the cheapest solution to perform to the same level as the big boys. See if you can get some customer contacts from both manufactures to get real world feedback on either product line.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.