VMware Cloud Community
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mark as flash as default

Hello. I'm having trouble marking storage devices as flash. These are SSDs on RAID-arrays shared over ISCSI (Starwind).

Is it possible to create a claim rule to mark ALL iscsi-luns as flash on a host? (6.5).

I see that marking as flash on one host do not change the device on the other hosts accessing the device, so I guess I have to add this claim rule on all hosts.

What is the best way to proceed?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NetxRunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think that if you take your time and mark them once, those should remain as SSD.

Probably this article may point you to further steps:http://www.vladan.fr/how-to-tag-disk-as-ssd-vmware-esxi-5-x/

I have a StarWind-based all-flash cluster running as dedicated storage for vSphere cluster. Never used to mark the drives as flash though since it works perfectly without it too.

0 Kudos
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The main reason I want to mark as flash is that I want the OS in VMs to see the storage as flash also. And the most important reason "just because" Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

We have many LUNs and many hosts, so it will be many "mark as flash"'-es.

And also the annoying part that it the datastore is in use on any host we cannot mark as flash.. 😕

0 Kudos