VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Management Service Restart

Dear Team,

I need to restart Management Service of an ESX Host 4.0/4.1, before restarting the same what precaution I have to take. wil it impact any service or any VMs or Storage or Network.

Regards

MrVMware.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vGuy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This was an issue earlier in particular version of ESX (3.X to be specific). It has since then been fixed with the following patch:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

I can confirm you this is no longer an issue with vSphere hosts.

PS: FYI, to close the thread you need to mark the answers as helpful/correct.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

Nothing is required as a precaution to restart the management service.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dear Nava,

I have found VM KB articles on the same, in that they have mentioned before restaring the service we have to make sure to uncheck the option of "VM startup and Shutdown" otherwise all the running VMs will get restarted. Do guide me if I am wrong.

VMware Moderator, you can close this case.

Regards

Muhammad Ahmed

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I assume you are running the ESX hosts in a cluster. In this case "VM Startup and Shutdown"does not apply and you may restart the services unless any tasks (e.g. snapshots) are currently running.

André

PS:

VMware Moderator, you can close this case.

You may close this thread yourself by either checking "Answered" when you post a response or by clicking the "Correct" button on an post which answered your question.

nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

I hope, your query is restarting management service will restart all VMs?

The issue is been corrected in 3.5 U3 (I think).

And you can check Virtual machine startup/Shutdown is disabled or not. It will be Disabled by default.

startup.jpg

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dear Andre Sir,

I have standalone ESX Host with "VM Startup and Shutdown" option enabled.

ESX 4.0

Regards

Muhammad Ahmed

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dear Team,

B4 restarting the management service, make sure  to disable "VM Startup and Shutdown" option , if we won't disable that option tand restart the management service then all VM will be restarted. Hence closing the thread.

Regards

MrVMware

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This was an issue earlier in particular version of ESX (3.X to be specific). It has since then been fixed with the following patch:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

I can confirm you this is no longer an issue with vSphere hosts.

PS: FYI, to close the thread you need to mark the answers as helpful/correct.

0 Kudos