VMware Cloud Community
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

MPIO iSCSI Error

I downloaded and installed vSphere 4 and found a tutorial on how to setup MPIO. I run into an error when I try to add the nics to the swiscsi.

esxcli swiscsi nic add -n vmk1 -d vmhba35

"Add Nic failed in IMA."

I followed the instructions at the following URL and it looks like someone else ran into this issue. We are not using the distributed switch yet. This is just a standalone host without vCenter yet.

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/03/18/iscsi-multipathing-with-esxcliexploring-the-next-version-of-...

Has anyone run into this and found a solution?

Thank you very much for any help.

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move the "other" nics from standby to unused. That should do it. You will have failover anyways since you have multiple paths.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Andy_Banta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Chuck,

Make sure that you have 1 uplink per vmkNIC as shown in the two "vSwitch0 Properties" screen in that description. Can you send the output of esxcfg-vswitch -l?

Thanks,

Andy

Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

# esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch0 32 10 32 1500 vmnic1,vmnic0,vmnic2

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VM Network 0 2 vmnic2,vmnic0,vmnic1

Service Console 0 1 vmnic0,vmnic2,vmnic1

iSCSI 2 0 1 vmnic2,vmnic0,vmnic1

iSCSI 1 0 1 vmnic1,vmnic0,vmnic2

VMkernel 0 1 vmnic0,vmnic2,vmnic1

#

In each of the iSCSI VMKernels, I have it set to one active and the others standby. Each of them use a different one as active.

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
asp24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move the "other" nics from standby to unused. That should do it. You will have failover anyways since you have multiple paths.

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you so much. That fixed it.

0 Kudos