VMware Cloud Community
burdweiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Long distance storage vmotion over T1

I'm running some tests and I want to see if this is even possible. I have two seperate hosts, one is at our Corp office and the other is at a branch office connected via a T1 link. I have powered down a particular VM and I would like to move it from one host to another (storage vmotion). There is no shared storage, it's all local storage. The VM is 25GB. Yes, I know it will take forever to move 25GB from one location to another, but I want to try anyway. My first attempt timed out. Is there a value I can change for the timeout period? I thought that a timeout would only occur on a powered on VM that has a certain amount of memory changes while in transit.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
damccumb
Contributor
Contributor

Could try FastSCP from veeam.  http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I'd also go FastSCP - use it daily )pretty much) a nd almost always my tool for moving data between hosts where no easy option is available.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
burdweiser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The veeam product worked quite well for just the copy function.  The time it takes to actually move a file is the painful part, but there's not much you can do outside of buying a WAN optimizer to move the data over a T1.

0 Kudos
EshuunDara
Contributor
Contributor

To be honest, using FedEx to overnight a 32 gig thumb drive with the VM on it would probably be the fastest method.

0 Kudos