VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

LUNs are from same storage or diifferent storage

here is the list of LUNS are presented to one the ESX Host following is the details...

Luns2.JPG

in the above snaps i have marked one set of LUNs(0-6) as a red, and other set of LUNs(0-6) are marked as purple. i just want to know weather these luns are coming from same storage or different storage.

Urgent help very much appreciated...

Regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
10 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

They are coming from different storage targets

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Thans Lan,

thanks for the reply, but how willi confirm the same that these LUNs are coming from 2 different storage, bcoz i want to prove the same to our Storage team.

Regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

The LUN numbers are also duplicated which implies two different storage arrays

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Read this VMware KB which explains all of this very well: Identifying disks when working with VMware ESX

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

u mean to say LUN ids r de-duplicated so it's coming from two different storage .

from storage1 lun 0 to 6 are mapped to esx1. Can we map other LUNs with same LUNid to an ESX1 host from same storage1.

Regards

Mr Vmware

0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Can we map other LUNs with same LUNid to an ESX1 host from same storage1.

We cannot map other LUNs with the same LUN ID on the same SAN because two controllers  cannot have the same WWPN on the same SAN.

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Dear Team,

if we have allocated 0-6 luns (lun id lun1,lun2,lun,3lun4,lun5,lun6)from san1 to esx1 , then is it possible to  allocate another 0-6 luns from san1 to esx1 with same LUN id???

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not Possible..

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Thanks Bharat,

Now i will explain the whole scenario y i have asked this question.

please find the attached snap and help me with the same.

Scenario.JPG

Bharat Sir / VMware Experts,

Waiting for the earliest reply.... for ur reference i have atatched the same snap, please download the same

Regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

The storage device reading  vmhba1:C0:T(0-9):L0 in the  example contains:

vmhba1 - HBA (Host Bus  Adapter)           --------------- Section1
    C0 - Channel
    T9 & T7 - Target (Storage processor port)
    L0 -  LUN (Logical Unit  Number or Disk Unit)

vmhba1 - HBA (Host Bus  Adapter)           --------------- Section2
    C0 - Channel
    T0 - Target (Storage processor port)
    L0 -  LUN (Logical Unit  Number or Disk Unit)

As ur using IBM XIV Storage and the above Target shows as 2 different ports in both the Section so there are 2 Different Storages,

But ur storage team might have merge the 2 different Storage in one using IBM Storage Virtualisation Application and Created Multiple Nodes.

0 Kudos