VMware Cloud Community
sweepsd
Contributor
Contributor

Issues with Storage Motion accross SAN controller

Hi

Running several ESXi 5.5 hosts with vcentre 6.5 connected via 2 fabric switches to an IBM DS3512 with 2 contollers.

Have 6 volumes on the storage, 3 managed by controller A and the other 3 by controller B

I'm having an issue if I try an storage motion a powered off VM from a volume managed by controller B to a volume managed by controller A.

I can sMotion the same VM from a volume controlled by A to other volume controlled by A and the same with B.  I can sMotion from A to B but cannot sMotion from B to A - it starts and then sits at 36%

Any ideas?

TIA

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

if you do disable VAAI to get around this, don't disable all VAAI primitives, and only disable them temporarily.

0 Kudos
sweepsd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I thought I had posted yesterday but it doesn't seem to show 😞 I had read the article about disabling VAAI and have tried that without success.

I'm not trying to storage vMotion to a different SAN but to a different volume on the same SAN but the volume is 'owned' by a different controller on the SAN (IBM DS3512)

So we have 2 controllers A & B on the DS3512

I can SvM to a different volume

A to A ok

A to B ok

B to B ok

B to A stuck at 36%

I do have an additional SAN attached to the setup and I can SvM to that ok and then SvM to A          B to V5000 to A

Andy

0 Kudos