VMware Cloud Community
ranciso
Contributor
Contributor

Is it really necessary to create a secondary vmknic for port binding / multipathing w/ iSCSI?

Just wondering if it is really necessary to create a secondary vmknic for port binding w / iSCSI software initiator. it seems to work with a single vmknic with nic teaming to the a vswitch. Just curious.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

What I've found, at least in my enviornment, is that I had to use 2 vmknics. We have an equallogic SAN, and until I did that, I was not showing the storage using multiple paths. I pretty much followed what this had to say:

I now see multiple paths going to my storage.

0 Kudos
dramamur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is possible to have multiple paths to a LUN with a NIC teamed vswitch. It depends on the storage array used and the number of target ports connected.

0 Kudos
awliste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running a single vmknic bound with an MD3000i. No problems, performance is fine.

Integritas!

- awliste

VCP, CCNA, C|EH

Integritas! Abe Lister Just some guy that loves to virtualize ============================== Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!
0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

In my setup, I tested both method either with the best practices as suggested by VMware for software ISCSI or another method I use was LAG features on the switch level, it does provide the same outcome.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos