VMware Cloud Community
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Iomega StorCenter Pro ix4-200r 4TB

Is this SAN any good?

Iomega StorCenter

Pro ix4-200r 4TB

It's on the HCL as NFS and iSCSI, and Iomega is now owned by EMC.

I'm trying to obtain some budget shared storage for a two server (DL360G5), Enterprise configuration, and by the time I've purchased licenses, support, vCenter, I've not got much left in the budget for a SAN, certainly not Compaq/HP or Dell, and there's not much fat in there to give up.

I'd like vMotion, DRS and HA, so enterprise is the only option.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

There is some information in this discussion and this entry at Eric Sloof's site.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

thanks, missed these from the search!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I've heard good stories about it. Keep in mind though that if you originally planned for an HP/DELL/EMC array this device will not get near the performance of those arrays. What kind of workload are we talking about?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter: (*NEW*)

Available Soon: vSphere Quick Start Guide ()

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
einstein-a-go-g
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

the original plan presented to my bosses, was a single standalone server with local storage only. (1.5TB SAS). HP DL 360G5 Quad Core, Dual Processors, 32GB RAM. To consolidate 7 physical servers, DCs, SQL, ISA, Print Servers, 3 already VMs, All these servers at present do multiple roles, e.g. DC/ISA/File/Print/SQL. They appreciated this was all eggs in one basket, and didn't have alot of money to do this, but then decided lets to Two servers and shared storage, so vMotion, DRS, HA could be done.

But after you add-on the VMware licenses, and support costs, for vCenter and Enterprise at x4 licenses for processors, not alot left for storage!

I think it's the toss up between two standalones or two with shared storage (enterprise), but if the storage doesn't work or is slow, Enterprise is a waste of money!

It's try-ing to avoid downtime if one ESX unit should have a system board fault.

any thoughts, each server is about £4k, 4TB Storage £1k, VMware Licenses+Support, £6k

so if the iOmega cannot hack it, it's a waste of £7k! (and local storage would have to be purchased!)

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Why not make your own storage. Look at an HP DL185 single processor and 2 GB RAM p400 or p800 controller and BBWC. There are several good software products to turn that into a solid shared storage platform. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

open-e

starwind

openfiler

freenas

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos