VMware Cloud Community
rkotowski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increasing Disk Size not working completely.

Recently, I noticed a server was nearing the 600 GB hard drive capacity.  So (as I have done with other servers), I increased the size of the volume on the SAN.  vSphere recognized the increase.  Then, I was able to go into Disk Manager and I saw the free space (unpartioned) on the server.  I extended the volume without a problem.  But, when I go into windows explorer, it still shows the old capacity.  Since I have done this before on other servers, I am a little mixed up.  I even rebooted it early this morning to see if it would fix it, but it didn't.  So, did I miss a key step somewhere?  Most of my other servers are windows 2008 R2...this one is windows 2008 standard...is there an issue because of that?  It seemed pretty straight forward.  I did some preliminary searches this morning, but I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere yet.  So, I thought I would try everyone on here.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan Kotowski

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vipinvk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you try diskpart utility for extending disk.

open command prompt

1. diskpart

2. list volume

3. select volume <number of the volume you extended>

4. extend filesystem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vipinvk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you try diskpart utility for extending disk.

open command prompt

1. diskpart

2. list volume

3. select volume <number of the volume you extended>

4. extend filesystem

0 Kudos
rkotowski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks...that seemed to work. Never had to do this before.  Our physical servers always had tons of space prior to us virtualizing.  But, now I have had to do it a few more times.  This was the first one I had issues with.  So the diskpart really did the same thing as disk management...just for some reason it did it better?

Thanks again,

Ryan Kotowski

0 Kudos
vipinvk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are welcome, great to know it worked.

0 Kudos