Contributor
Contributor

Increasing Disk Size not working completely.

Jump to solution

Recently, I noticed a server was nearing the 600 GB hard drive capacity.  So (as I have done with other servers), I increased the size of the volume on the SAN.  vSphere recognized the increase.  Then, I was able to go into Disk Manager and I saw the free space (unpartioned) on the server.  I extended the volume without a problem.  But, when I go into windows explorer, it still shows the old capacity.  Since I have done this before on other servers, I am a little mixed up.  I even rebooted it early this morning to see if it would fix it, but it didn't.  So, did I miss a key step somewhere?  Most of my other servers are windows 2008 R2...this one is windows 2008 standard...is there an issue because of that?  It seemed pretty straight forward.  I did some preliminary searches this morning, but I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere yet.  So, I thought I would try everyone on here.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan Kotowski

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you try diskpart utility for extending disk.

open command prompt

1. diskpart

2. list volume

3. select volume <number of the volume you extended>

4. extend filesystem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you try diskpart utility for extending disk.

open command prompt

1. diskpart

2. list volume

3. select volume <number of the volume you extended>

4. extend filesystem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks...that seemed to work. Never had to do this before.  Our physical servers always had tons of space prior to us virtualizing.  But, now I have had to do it a few more times.  This was the first one I had issues with.  So the diskpart really did the same thing as disk management...just for some reason it did it better?

Thanks again,

Ryan Kotowski

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are welcome, great to know it worked.

0 Kudos