VMware Cloud Community
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Increased VMFS5 datastore temporarily reverts to previous size

Good afternoon.  I was just preparing to open a support call about this, but wanted to post to the community first.  I have several VMFS5 datastores that have had their capacity increased, but they periodically revert to their previous capacity and I'll start seeing capacity alerts in the vSphere Web Client or I'll be unable to perform snapshots, expand virtual disks, etc.  Once I perform "Refresh Capacity Information" all is well, the increased capacity is visible again and the alerts cease.

We're using vSphere Web Client 6.5.0 (Build 4944578) and are preparing to shift to a new vCenter server for vSphere Client 6.7.0.  The majority of our hosts are 6.5.0 (5969303) & 6.5.0 (7388607), but we have a handful of older hosts that can only support 6.0.0 (5224934).  Has anyone seen this odd issue before?  I'm wondering if it might be something quirky from the older vSphere Web Client.  Thank you.

Scott

4 Replies
aleex42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this is a Webclient (Flex / Flash) bug.

We are having this problem with vSphere 6.5 and NFS datastores from time to time, too.

-- Alex (VMware VCAP-DCV, NetApp NCIE, LPIC 2)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This looks like a nasty bug in the vCenter Web Client. The old Windows based vSphere client ran a rescan on each host after changing a datastore size, which the Web Client doesn't seem to do. Because of this, the vCenter Server gets different size information from the hosts, and seems to display the size of a random host.

What you can do is to run a rescan on each host while either logged in directly on the hosts (not from vCenter), or by using a script in case of a large environment. This will make each host aware of the new size, and vCenter Server will get consistent size information.

André

0 Kudos
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Andre',

I'll give your method a shot, though if I rescan it seems to be okay for a while and then it will periodically detect/alert the previous size.  I'll find out when we'll migrate to the 6.7.0 client and maybe that'll resolve the issue.  Thank you.

Scott

0 Kudos
alanchanicshk
Contributor
Contributor

Hope it helps.  Even the environment is not exactly the same.

Source - https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6532255077258878976/

0 Kudos