VMware Cloud Community
Kydo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Incorrect "Used Storage" reported - ESX 5.5

Hello everybody,

We have a strange problem since we migrated some hosts in ESX 5.5...

On our cluster, 14 hosts are in 5.5 and 2 are still in 5.1 (we stopped the migration when we stumbled on this problem... Here it is :

Our biggests vm (> 500 Gb provisionned) are reporting incorrect "Used Storage" (and "Not-Shared Storage btw). These vms are in thin provisionning.

The datastores they are located in are all in VMFS 5.54 (this problem is on all our datastores, not just only one)

If we perform a vmotion to an ESX 5.1 host, this problem disappear, but it's back with a vmotion back to 5.5...

Our storage is provided by 2 datacore hosts, San-Symphony V 9.0 PSP3.

I attached 2 screenshots showing my problem...

anybody here already experienced this problem ?

Thanks, and best wishes to you all,

V-

26 Replies
Bisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any update? Is the fix available?

0 Kudos
HuntAJ
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with ESX 5.5 U2 (latest) and EqualLogic firmware 7.0.9 (latest).

0 Kudos
Exwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's a KB article for the bug - no fix as of yet:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=208213...

In my environment, I've found that the "Storage Views" tab shows the correct, expected amount of 'provisioned' space for virtual machines.

Unfortunately, it is on a per-VM basis, so you can't directly get the un-provisioned free space without doing some math.

0 Kudos
MattyShort
Contributor
Contributor

Still no fix yet

We use Storage DRS in our environment, what I have found is that machines that have changed datastores will show the correct information at that point (but the problem reoccurs as the machine grows again).

For those of you who use PowerCLI here is a handly little script to get all Datastore Size / Free Space and Provisioned Space!  This will let you check over provisioning sizes etc fast.

get-datastore | get-view | select -expandproperty summary | select name,@{N="Capacity(GB)";E={[math]::round($_.capacity/1GB,2)}},@{N="FreeSpace(GB)";E={[math]::round($_.freespace/1GB,2)}},@{N="Provisioned(GB)";E={[math]::round(($_.capacity - $_.freespace + $_.uncommitted)/1GB,0)}}

0 Kudos
shifak
Contributor
Contributor

So looks like this thread has been abandoned about a year ago. The link to KB article is dead.

Is there any new information regarding this issue between Used and Provisioned space???

0 Kudos
Asteroza
Contributor
Contributor

Currently using 5.5U2 (3116895) and it still isn't resolved. After an upcoming maintenance window I'm moving to 5.5U3+the October patch, so we'll see if it's fixed then. Can't test 6.0a due to my hardware though.

0 Kudos
Australadian
Contributor
Contributor

For those of you playing at home, a similar issue has been addressed in a patch:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2110199&s...

Datastore Summary page shows incorrect provisioned space in vSphere Client (2110199)

Symptoms

• • The vSphere Client and vSphere Web Client summary page does not display right values for Not-shared storage and Used Storage counters.
  • • The value is incorrect on the virtual machines tab for the datastore(s).
  • • The information in the Storage views tab through vCenter Server reflects the proper value of storage space used for a virtual machine.
  • • Output of PowerCLI may also be affected by this issue.

Cause

The issue occurs when hostd does not consider the space saving due to sharing of file blocks across disk files present on shared storage while calculating provisioned space.

Resolution

This is a known issue affecting VMware ESXi 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, and 6.0.

This issue is resolved in: