VMware Cloud Community
Kydo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Incorrect "Used Storage" reported - ESX 5.5

Hello everybody,

We have a strange problem since we migrated some hosts in ESX 5.5...

On our cluster, 14 hosts are in 5.5 and 2 are still in 5.1 (we stopped the migration when we stumbled on this problem... Here it is :

Our biggests vm (> 500 Gb provisionned) are reporting incorrect "Used Storage" (and "Not-Shared Storage btw). These vms are in thin provisionning.

The datastores they are located in are all in VMFS 5.54 (this problem is on all our datastores, not just only one)

If we perform a vmotion to an ESX 5.1 host, this problem disappear, but it's back with a vmotion back to 5.5...

Our storage is provided by 2 datacore hosts, San-Symphony V 9.0 PSP3.

I attached 2 screenshots showing my problem...

anybody here already experienced this problem ?

Thanks, and best wishes to you all,

V-

26 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi ,

This seems to indicate a problem only with Esxi 5.5 or may be a Bug with ESXi 5.5  ie Since you migrate it back to ESXi 5.1 and it works good.

did you report this to VMware and have a Support Ticket number by any chance.?

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
Kydo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Avinash, and thanks for your time.

We filled a request with Vmware (SR 13413795112) and the support told me that SS-V is not compatible with ESX 5.5. I am only half convinced with this explanation as the ESX 5.1 are working well. I read (i hope thoroughly) the change log but it has no mention about a change in the way ESX 5.5 is reporting (or asking ?) the thin provisionning data...

Moreover, we discovered that we had another issue with ESX 5.5, concerning the io limit of a VM...On a ESX 5.1, the limits are correctly respected (i.e. io limit of 500, we'll see a straight line at 500 io/s under heavy load). But in ESX 5.5, the limit is like a third of what we configured (if we configure 500 iops, we got like 165 iops) and this is clearly not a straight line. It vary between 60 and 180 iops...

Regards,

Vincent.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your update and reply. I am trying to reproduce this problem at my test environment, I will definitely let you know if I get any updates from my end on this situation.

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Vincent,

Both you and VMware are correct in regards to this situation, firstly your storage is not supported for the ESXi 5.5, But you were right with the thought the incorrect "used storage" does seem to be a Bug , I was able to reproduce the problem with a different

storage model and the same issue. I will provide you with more details once i have update

Thanks,

Avinash

Kydo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Avinash,

thanks for your time and tests ! If you want more information or have me do some more testing, please feel free to ask. Have you had the time to check with our io limit problem ?

Thanks,

Vincent.

0 Kudos
arakasi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I can confirm the same thing is happening with a EMC VNX5300 as the storage and vCenter 5.5b.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
BMO-DIT
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

we got the same problem on VNX 5300 and vsphere 5.5 too.

On 1 esx if a vm got an IO Limit it will create a hudge kernel latency (KAVG/WR) on the ESX, if we remove all the IO limit everything is ok.

We got a case open with the VMware support. (No problem on vpshere 5.1)

0 Kudos
josh_weidman
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar issue as well on 5.5 u1.   Nimble storage is showing a free space of 5tb on my lun, VMware is reporting something less. the discrepancy seems to be with the used space.  Used space on vsphere is over 9 tb while used space showing on  Nimble is showing just over 5 ( taking advantage of compression etc)  

this is not happening on Netapp using nfs.

does anyone have any updates on this?   Also what happens if we just let VMware report 0 free space? If there is free space on the LUN will VMware still lock and suspend all vms on the volume when it reaches 0 ?

jweidman@TrappOnline.com

0 Kudos
MattyShort
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having this issue on 5.5 (not u1) latest build version of ESXi 5.5.0 build 1746018. As an example, we have a thin provisioned VM that is allocated 550GB, actual usage when looking through Storage Views shows the correct usage of about 500GB.   The summary page of the virtual machine shows 88.93GB Used Storage, Not Shared shows the same value, Provisioned showing 550GB.  We are currently using EMC storage which is supported by 5.5, and the drivers / firmware / flexcode are all on a supported level.

I'm currently getting VMware to investigate this issue, and I'll let you know what they come back with.

josh_weidman
Contributor
Contributor

any update on this by chance? I made another volume and had the same exact results.

0 Kudos
C34
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this?  We are noticing the same issue on vSphere 5.5 as well.  If we perform a storage vMotion to another data store on the same SAN, it correctly updates the "Used Storage" amount.  It seems to be an issue at the host level since it shows the issue when you connect directly to a host as well as through vCenter.  We are using a SAN different than previous posters, but it is on the supported HCL.

To some extent, it appears that storage DRS looks at the "Used Storage" when calculating stats for moves, since I now see it failing storage vMotions periodically due to insufficient disk space.  The total Free Space per data store appears to be correct regardless of this bug.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi All,

Apologies for  missing to update the Thread, well VMware confirmed that is as per design and are trying to make it better, The vpxa agent on each host schedules a thread to monitor the free space on the datastore every five minutes; if the change in value is greater than 100 MB, it re-syncs this value on the vCenter Server. There is a KB Article that is published.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200836...

--Avinash

Kydo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

As I said to you in MP, the "Get-Datastore" method worked for me, but one question remains. As I understand, this problem should have disappeared maximum 5 minutes after its apparation since vpxa is refreshing these data every 5 minutes. For us, the problem was still there, weeks after it appeared.

Am I missing something here ?

Regards,

-Vincent.

0 Kudos
Kydo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Well, this story is not at the end yet...

The problem is still here, only on the vsphere client, it vanished on the web client.

As you can see here, the Used space is correct (1.05 TB)usedstorage001.png

But it is not correct here (19 GB)usedstorage002.png

Moreover, the values returned by PowerCli is buggy too :

usedstorage003.png

Uncommited is 1262 GB (1356126488716 KB) but it should be 205 GB

And on the vm informations, the "UsedSpaceGB" is ~ 19GB, should be ~1.05TB

usedstorage004.png

Some thoughts :

1/ It seems to be buggy only on huge VM ( > 1TB disks). Other seems fine

2/ How the web client os calculating the good infos ? Is there a new method on PowerCli to retrieve these numbers ?

-Vincent

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi All,

VMware is aware of this problem and working on it. if you have the same situation in your environment please have a SR raised with VMware to get an update or status on the same.

Thanks,
Avinash

0 Kudos
ictogn
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates ?

We have the same problem(s) with a VNX5300, ESXi 5.5u1

0 Kudos
Useless1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Here is what I can tell you as I have the same issue with a VNX 5300, and I am completely disgusted with VMware's attitude of dealing with it.

The issue is stale entries in the hostd cache. Rebooting the hosts or restarting the management agents do not fix the issue. I have been assured by VMware that no data is at risk it is purely a reporting function.

The only current fix is a storage vmotion of the affected VM's.

I chased VMware after they closed my support case with a  status of resolved after having done very little!

They said they have a number of calls about the issue and it is a known bug being dealt with by their engineering team. I then discovered they have known about the issue since February 2014. I then challenged as to why there was no KB article and they have now begun writing an internal KB which will be published in a few days...

I will update when I have more...

0 Kudos
ictogn
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer,

I reported this problem to VMWare january 6th of this year.

The way VMWare is handling this issue is indeed very disappointing.

0 Kudos
Useless1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes it is very disappointing...

Also I forgot to put in my post that the engineering team have given a provisional date (Although not in writing...) of October being the fix date!

0 Kudos