VMware Cloud Community
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

Inactive iSCSI Datastore

We had a power outage and one of our iSCSI datastores is stuck in "inactive" state. I checked the storage server and everything looks good, the LUN is listed on both our ESXi servers with both Status and Host Status as "Up".

I've rescanned the HBAs, which usually fixes this issue, but that didn't work this time. I checked to make sure the LUN wasn't in snapshot mode with the command: esxcfg-volume -l

I can't think of anything else to try to get the datastore back. Anyone have any ideas?

7 Replies
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

You could try rebooting one of your hosts and see if this re-establishes the connection to the LUN. Depending on your setup connections may be persistant. You could also try recreating the Initiator Target connection as well.

Regards,

Paul Kelly

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I can't think of anything else to try to get the datastore back. Anyone have any ideas?

Call support, they have to resignature the volume, I could post the info how to do it, but I haven't done it in 2 years.. so I don't want to give wrong info.

0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys, after I posted we did try a complete reboot of our ESX hosts/enviroment

but no luck. The Datastore shows up under Home/Inventory/Datastores

without any errors or warnings but the datastore isn't available on

either of the ESX hosts.

You mean like this: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101138... I tried the commands but no volumes showed up that needin a new signature. If there is something else please let me know. We're on the "essentials kit" level, we don't get support.

We have a couple legacy VMs and some templates on this datastore. Worst case, we can live without them, but I would like to know how to resolve this issue if it ever shows up on our production iSCSI device.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would file an SR with VMware. They can help at this point. Is it possible that you were left with a corrupted or unclean SAN volume. Any scan and fix utilities at the SAN level?

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Kunari
Contributor
Contributor

We can live without the VMs on that datastore, the templates aren't impossible to rebuilt either. it's just more of an

educational experience at this point. I may have to break down and do that if the boss determines it's important enough.

I did find this thread, I may try those commands. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/212852

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I wouldn't do too many things to the point that it can't be brought back or that it wipes out the trail. Especially not understanding where it is failing.

Forum Upgrade Notice - We will be upgrading VMware Communities systems between 10-12 December 2010. During this time, the system will be placed in READ-ONLY mode.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
virtualtech_wor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did Rescan on iSCSI software adapter (host-->configuration-->storage adapters) and got iSCSI datastore back active.