VMware Cloud Community
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Implication when removing Enterprise+ from a host with 3rd party MPIO module

Just wondering, I got a host which has the Dell Equallogic MPIO module in use and we decided to downgrade its license to Standard. Now before I hit the "go" button I just remembered that 3rd party MPIO modules require Enterprise+.

My question is, what does actually happen when you reduce the license to Standard ? Will I receive an error similar to the one you're getting when DRS is enabled (can't change license as feature is in use etc.) or would it just stop working ?

If so, would I have to uninstall the module or is it enough to simply change the path selection ?!?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from VMware ESXi™ 4 community to the VMware vSphere™ Storage community.

Interesting question.  Not sure exactly what would happen, once you changed the license.  I would first disable the plugin, which will change the PSP.  That way if anything "breaks," you aren't really using it anyway.  You could then later uninstall the plugin.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I eventually evacuated a host, disabled DRS and reduced its license to Standard and it didn't throw an error per-se and the path selection was still on the EQL one even after a reboot.

Makes me wonder if that is even inforced as the "features being lost" when downgrading the license doesn't even mention anything in regards to third party plugins ...

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

It may not be enforced, but I would worry that it might cause problems down the road.  This seems like it might be the kind of thing forgotten about and then when issues crop up later, suddenly remembered.  Support might also be an issue.  Personally, I would at a minimum disable the plugin.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos