VMware Cloud Community
Praveennandal
Contributor
Contributor

IOPS change from 1000 to 1

We are planning for changing IOPS value from 1000 to 1 as per recommandations given by EMC. I have two questions on this.

1.     Are there any adverse effects on VMware due to this?

2.     Is it really beneficial as one of the article written by Duncan is somehow do not agree with this recommandation from storage vendors?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To be honest, I've never performed  tests where I compared the performance for these two settings. For all the different storage system I installed so far (including EMC storage) I left the settings on default values, because the esxtop counters always showed balanced usage and there weren't any complaints about poor storage performance.

André

0 Kudos
Praveennandal
Contributor
Contributor

I was also running storage with default settings for years without any problem but I had one storage performance issue which actually had nothing to do with VMware at all and EMC came in for fixing the actual issue and gave some additional recommandations, IOPS setting change is one of them. As per them they have done hundreds of tests and changing IOPS gave them good results which I don't see documented anywhere. Now I have implement it but I wanted to check if it can also do some

harm to my environment or not.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm pretty sure it won't harm, otherwise storage vendors like EMC would not recommend it.

André

0 Kudos