VMware Cloud Community
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to use ASM/ME in a vmware environment?

First off, my setup:  ESX 4.0 3 host cluster connected to a Equallogic PS5xx series SAN.  1 test volume configured on the Equallogic and connected to the ESX cluster.  This is a VMFS volume. 1 2008R2 VM is installed on the cluster using this test volume.

I have done some testing using the snapshot funtion directly on the SAN which included deleting the 2008R2 VM then mounting a snapshot volume, copying the VM to the production volume and bringing the copied VM up.  Works just fine, although pretty clunky.

So now I am moving forward and want to test the ASM/ME plugin that Dell has, but I am a little confused on how to do so with my environment.  I have installed the ASM/ME on the 2008R2 VM and I went throught the Remote Setup Wizard, added our PS Group name/IP and the CHAP account.

I am at a point where within the ASM console I have 1 HIT Host (the 2008R2 VM) and 1 iSCSI Connections, but now I'm thinking maybe I am getting ahead of myself.

My questions are:

1. Firstly, do I also need to install ASM/VE to make this work?  If not what am I missing by not installing ASM/VE?

2.. How is ASM/ME typically used in a VMware environment like mine?  Should it be installed on all VM's?  or should I just have 1 VM with ASM installed dedicated as a "recovery" host

3.. Is there a benefit to using ASM/ME for use with file servers or other Windows servers other than Exchange, Sharepoint, SQL?

4.. How is recovery handled?  Lets say I delete a file on my test 2008R2 VM that is running ASM.  What then?  It looks like I would need to add the SAN snapshot volume within the VM using the Microsoft ISCSI initiator and then browse the volume, is this correct?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mac1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After further reading, it appears ASM/ME is only effective at protecting "Guest" attached volumes.  Which means I am out of luck using ASM/ME in my configured test environment.

I need to add an iSCSI volume within my VM using the Microsoft Intiator.  This volume would be a different volume on my Equallogic than the volume attached to my ESX hosts.

After discovering this, It sounds simpler to just keep everything on VMFS (os and drives) and simply backup the VM using traditional tools (veam, vranger) and OS shadow copies or use ASM/VE to just snapshot the VM's.   To get granular recovery I would use OS shadow copies combined with 3rd party tools such as vranger FLR or exchange recovery. Any thoughts?

Think I pretty much answered my own initial questions.

0 Kudos