VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to safely delete LUNs from all ESXi host.

Dear team,

I have ha/drs enabled cluster with 4 esxi host. I have deleted 2 datastore from ESXi host and the same is visible in Add Storage Wizard. I want to safely unmap these LUN from these esxi host, before unmapping from SAN side do I need to run some commands which we were doing in esx4.x (creating mask rule)

need ur assistance to remove these lun entries from all esxi host once these luns unmapped from san side I don't want any kind of errors in vmkernel\ vmkwarning \ vmksummary \ messages log.

Appreciate ur help...

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can ignore those alarms. They happen to me every time I do it .You have performed the proper steps. Though I usually unmount the LUN manually, and do not let the detach operation do it. Also if you are using HA-verify it is not a Heartbeat datastore.

But the alarms are normal, so do not worry.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use this as your starting point: Best Practice: How to correctly remove a LUN from an ESX host | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Friend  as suggested I have done the below steps

1.Unregister all objects from the datastore including VMs and Templates

2.Ensure that no 3rd party tools are accessing the datastore

3.Ensure that no vSphere features, such as Storage I/O Control or Storage DRS, are using the device

4.Detach the device from the ESX host; this will also initiate an unmount operation

Note: The Detach function must be performed on a per-host basis and does not propagate to other hosts in vCenter Server. If a LUN is presented to an initiator group or storage group on the SAN, the Detach function must be performed on every host in that initiator group before unmapping the LUN from the group on the SAN. Failing to follow this step results in an all-paths-down (APD) state for those hosts in the storage group on which Detach was not performed for the LUN being unmapped.

5.Physically unpresent the LUN from the ESX host using the appropriate array tools.

as soon as lun unpreset from SAN I have started recived these errors in Host event tab

Lost connectivity to storage device naa.60060160f5a23400e8c4cb3f3a1de411. Path vmhba1:C0:T0:L26 is down. Affected datastores:
Unknown.
error
10-09-2014 12:19:34

Lost connectivity to storage device naa.60060160f5a234001624ba283a1de411. Path vmhba2:C0:T1:L22 is down. Affected datastores:
Unknown.
error

Lost connectivity to storage device naa.60060160f5a23400e617c32e3a1de411. Path vmhba1:C0:T0:L23 is down. Affected datastores:
Unknown.
error

Alarm 'Cannot connect to storage' on

dodadbsrv02.dodagumgrd.com changed from

Gray to Gray

info

10-09-2014 12:19:46

6.Rescan the SAN

7.  esxcli storage core device detached list

esxcli storage core device detached remove -d naa.60060160f5a23400e8c4cb3f3a1de411

My question is y I have got these many error message in event tab , just want to confirm  is there any step I have missed above or it's a genuine error message which is safe to ignore.

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can ignore those alarms. They happen to me every time I do it .You have performed the proper steps. Though I usually unmount the LUN manually, and do not let the detach operation do it. Also if you are using HA-verify it is not a Heartbeat datastore.

But the alarms are normal, so do not worry.

0 Kudos