VMware Cloud Community
plsntn_rules1
Contributor
Contributor

How to move a VM from a VMFS volume to a NFS volume?

Can someone pint me in the driection of documentation or links that explains how I can move a Vm from a VMFS volume to a NFS volume?

Any help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
plsntn_rules1
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I should clarify further what my intentions are.

Currently have a vsphere environment with SAN attached VMFS storage.

Have over 500 VMs in this environment using up about 5 TB of storage.

We are building out new vsphere environment that will be totally NFS.

This environment in not up and running yet.

But I want to be ready when the environment is up and running.

So I need to move the current VMs that are sitting on the SAN VMFS to a totally NFS solution.

What is the best way to proceed?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

The obvious and best way would be to use Storage vMotion, if you have the license. Then all transfers could be done online, with no downtime on the VMs.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
plsntn_rules1
Contributor
Contributor

we dont have license for stroage motion.

and please remember that the destination will not be ready for a while.

I just need to copy the vmdks over to a temp storage till the new environment is ready and then transfer them to the new site when it is up.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

you can use vmware converter to export it to a tmp space before reimporting it again to NFS later.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Will you have the SAN and the NFS storage simultaneously? It would be a pitty if not. Makes transfer much easier if you can do it in one step. I am sure there are several powershell scripts around that could move VMs from one storage location to the other. (power down one or more VMs and migrate the data to the new datastore, power up the VMs)

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
plsntn_rules1
Contributor
Contributor

DSTAVERT..

That's my issue..I wont have both environments up and running at the same time plus they are geographically diverse.

So I am trying to do as much prep ahead of the environment being available.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know how much storage volume you have but it will take time. You don't need to do anything special. Just a straight copy will do. There is no difference in the disk files so a copy at the other end will work. How much downtime have you planned. A powershell script could work on this as well but you will need to set up some shared or network storage to make this work.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

How is the SAN attached FC or iSCSI? Will you still own the SAN?

0 Kudos
plsntn_rules1
Contributor
Contributor

FC attached SAN and yes..will still own it

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I'd suggest using something like FastSCP to copy your data dto your temp store (or even directly from the current store to the NFS if you willl have an overlap)

As you do not have sVmotion, you'll need to shut down your VMs on migration day, then right click them (highligh a bunch if you like) and select 'remove from inventory' (or script it of course)

After this, you need to go to each .vmx file on the new storage and re-import to your inventory - right clicking though would be arduous, so I'd suggest using a script to do the import - I have a Powercli script that you can use for that:

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/02/03/script-of-the-day-import-all-vms-from-a-datastore-to-vmware-e...

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You could still use Storage vMotion when you leverage the temp license!

Duncan

Yellow-bricks.com | HA/DRS technical deepdive - the ebook!

0 Kudos