VMware Cloud Community
brandon6976
Contributor
Contributor

How to find disk Contention

Hello everyone, I currently has an ESX pool of VM's all on my SAN, I'll preface this with there is things I know i can tune in my SAN to make things better which is going to happen. However I have a problem where at night there is disk contention with the VM's and they're all sharing a set of disks so if a small # of vm's are doing crazy IO it hurts them all.

Is there any tools that come with or even that are third party that would help me narrow down which VM Guests have a high demand for IO?

Brandon Vignando
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

To find this we need to take a look at what is going on at night. Some questions:

- There is any process schedules for this time? This include backups, Anti virus scans, any sort of data indexing.

- The problem occurs always at the same time? What time is that?

- Can you paste here a sample of the exit of "cat /var/log/vmkernel | grep StorageMonitor"?

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
brandon6976
Contributor
Contributor

well there is a couple things. There is backups that run but the problem shows up "randomly" so at night there obviously is going to be various jobs and they run at night. What we've found is that in the morning sometimes whatever the servers are doing is still going. The problem being is that the production environment (the one effected) has about 90vm's running so to go to the guest level of each and try to look at the scheduled job is a pretty big task as god knows what the developers do sometimes.

I'll try to past you that var/log/vmkernel thing.

Brandon Vignando
0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

The backup are being done with VCB? If yes, with SAN connection or NBD?

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
brandon6976
Contributor
Contributor

no currently its done at the guest level. I have checked when this issue is occuring into the morning though that there is no backups running. So I know that this can be a major contributor but in this case i'm 99.9% sure its not the cause of my current symptom.

Brandon Vignando
0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

It would probably be easier to look at the IO stats for the hosts. You can also log these overnight and get a general idea of which vm is using the most.

esxtop, v will show you the io stats for the vm's by name, select F to adjust what you want to see. I'll look up the batches tomorrow for you so you can look at the statistics long term.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

ESXTOP, check the following blog article: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9279

especially look in to: davg / gavg / kavg

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos