VMware Cloud Community
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to configure rdm to use iscsi lun within a virtual machine using ms iscsi initiator ?

I have equallogic SAN attached to a cisco 3750

switch. This is our Storage network.

Within the VM for all data drives other than my c:\ which has the os i would like to use the iscsi Data switch which has 4 nic ports on four different nic cards already assigned.

From what i read a vm could use only 4 nic's. So i have one for Production network the remaining three I would like

to use it for iSCSI data.

Three nic ports from each VM to use MPIO using ms iscsi

initiator.

I have already attached the RDM using esxi 3.5 as a physical RDM mapping.

My question is how do i configure the nic ports within the virtual machine ?

The VM network is on 172.19.2.* where the iscsi is on 172.19.21.*.

What would be the entry on the nics within the virtual machine which is running ms win 2k3 r2 x64.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX / Configuration / Networking

Propertties (near vSwtich3).

On vSwitch object / Edit

NIC Teaming Tab.

Load Balancing Menu.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are mixing two different concepts. An RDM is assigned through the ESX server. What you do from inside the vm is not an RDM. Regardless, if you create a separate vSwitch to be used for storage traffic, and have 4 NICs attached to it, keep in mind that a vm will not use more than one NIC on the same subnet without using an etherchannel configured with those physical NICs and the physical switch. The setup is using an MS iSCSI initiator within the OS and creating a new NIC within the OS with an IP on the iscsi network. If you want to use multiple NICs, then you'll have to have an additional NIC, but if that NIC is on the same subnet, only one NIC will ever be used. This can get very confusing from a networking perspective, as you may be able to configure host-based routes, but then you'll need multiple iSCSI target IPs as well. The easier thing to do is to configure one iSCSI NIC and if you have multiple vm's, then each of those iSCSI nic's will use a different physical NIC on your storage vSwitch.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - With the upgraded virtual hardware available in vSphere you now can have 10 virtual network devices - check out .

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Kjb007,

Thank you for clearing this. I am new to this iSCSI and MPIO. Things are a bit clearer now.

I have removed the RDM from esx. I need the RDM directly within the VM to the iSCSI target LUN.

We have a cisco 3750 stackable switch and we do have etherchanneling enabled for four nic ports. Added four nic ports esxi server on iSCSI data vSwitch.

Could you please advise the basic as well please excuse for my ignorance ?

- I have production nic on vLAN 2 so ip - 172.19.2.179 , subnet- 255.255.255.0, gateway on 172.19.2.1

- My storage network NIC would be on vLAN 21 so ip 172.19.21.130, subnet-255.255.255.0, gateway on 172.19.21.1.

Can i have two different gatteways within one MS 2003 standard 64 bit server ? If not how do i achieve this ?

If i achieve the above and if i need to add more nics, how do I bind the three nics together from within the VM to use vLAN 21?

Do i bind all the three NIC's together and use just one ip address or three NIC's should have three different ip address wtihin the VM for iSCSI traffic ?

If i am just enabling one port within the VM for iSCSI data to flow through doesn't that defeat the purpose of MPIO from MS iSCSI initiator ?

Waiting eagerly for your answers. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can not have multiple default gateways. But, since your iSCSI network and IP from the vNIC are on the same subnet, you don't need a default gateway, since you don't want that network to be routed. As long as the vNIC is on the same subnet, that nic will be used for communication on that VLAN.

Since you are using an etherchannel, as long as you have multiple target IP's, load will be split over the physical NICs. That is the simplest configuration. Using MPIO or MC/s is a little bit different.

What version of ESX are you using?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This describes other options you may be interested in. http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2009/01/a-multivendor-post-to-help-our-mutual-iscsi-cust...

If you are up for configuring every piece of storage from the vm directly, you can read the bottom of that article. Due to the complicated nature, this shouldn't be the default, but rather an exception if your throughput is limited by the current configuration.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Kjb,

I am using ESXi 3.5 U4. Please view the attached for how i have assigned the port groups and NIC's. The iSCSI network is on mtu 9000 and the vswitch upto the physical switch everyting is MTU 9000 as well.

So without a default gateway is what i have tried it with.

you have cleared two of my questions is it possible for you to clear the others from previous questions ?

MPIO is something which i would like to achieve from within the VM using MS-iSCSI initiator.

So four nics have been assigned from four different nics to go to the storage switch.

Please help me out, thank you.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

4 NICs is the max for 3.5, so I'm assuming one vNIC will be used for the regular network communication from the VM. Follow guide here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/E/9/AE91DEA1-66D9-417C-ADE4-92D824B871AF/uGuide.doc Starts on page 54.

From the Guide: Setup your target as you would normally using the guide above, and then follow below, also from the user guide:

In the Log On to Target dialog:

a.

Leave the previously selected target settings

for Automatically

restore this connection when the system boots and Enable multi-path

unchanged.

b.

Click Advanced and select a different Local Adapter NIC

or HBA with a different Source IP. If the target has multiple portals, select a different

portal address.

c.

Click OK to return to the Log On to Portal dialog

and then click OK

again to return to the iSCSI Initiator Properties dialog.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Message was edited by: kjb007 : Added additional steps

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi kjb007,

I am working with all the details you have provided me. Will let you know how everything went. Thank you again. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Very good. Keep us posted with your results.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi kjb007,

Etherchanneling is the issue. Once we enabled just one port on the Storage Cisco 3750 Switch it has worked. We have got it as ON(With no LACP) as advised by others. Which mode should the etherchannel be set in ? Please help. Thank you.

The options i have got are

- LACP

-LACP(Passive)

-Desirable

- Auto

- Desirable

- Desirable non-silent

- Auto non-silent

- on (no LACP)

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct. No LACP. Neither active nor passive LACP will work, since ESX does not talk LACP. You have to set the channel mode to ON, and set ESX vSwitch portgroup to ip hash. That will create your channel from both sides.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

vSwitch3 is where i need to enable this. Could you please advise me of the command to list the what load balancing type it uses and how to change it to ip hash. Thank you.

In the cisco switch it is ip_based and not mac-address based for load balancing. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX / Configuration / Networking

Propertties (near vSwtich3).

On vSwitch object / Edit

NIC Teaming Tab.

Load Balancing Menu.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Three nic ports from each VM to use MPIO using ms iscsi initiator.

You do not need MPIO at VM level.

Cause is provided al vSwitch level.

Andre

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

My etherchannel is now up and everything is working fine.

Still i am not able to do the iSCSI connection. It is timing out.

I add the ip address of my SAN 172.19.21.50 in target portals>>add in Microsoft iSCSI initiator. The connection times out.

I am able to ping the address but cannot telnet/web access. Any server within the vlan 21 and vlan 2 have got access to equallogic SAN.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What do you see on Equallogic Events?

Sure that ethercannel is working?

Do you also use enhanced vmxnet driver?

Andre

0 Kudos
cooldroplets
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

We had a route print added and after removal everything started working. Now its all good. thank you. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos