VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to Unmap a datastore from esxi host without loosing data

Dear team,

I want to unmap a datastore which is mapped on two cluster (cluster1 10 esxi host and cluster2  4 esxi hosts)

Query1

Which step will be correct

unmount => detach => start storage movement activity (poweroff storage) => move the storage => poweron => attach => mount

or

unmount => detach => san team will unmap => start storage movement activity (poweroff storage) => move the storage => poweron => san team will map the datastore =>attach => mount

Query2:

once i browse i am able to see vpshere ha and dvs data folder, just want to confirm if i want to unmount and detach the datastore will it allow me to do that or it will throw an error, please confirm.

Query3:

if we unmount and detach a datastore, before that do i need to unregister all VMs??

regards

Mr Vmware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please find the right steps

Query1

before activity take VM export which are stored on datastore

Home => datastore and datastore cluster => select the datastore => VMs => add all the columns => take VM export

take latest RVTool export.

shutdown all VMs => Unregister all VMs and Templates => RK on Cluster (edit setting  => datastore hearbeating => here we have to select another datastore and click on OK)

to confirm new datastore is visible as datastore heartbeat select Cluster=> Sumamry => Custer Status => Heartbeat Datastore )

if we are able to see new datastore then now remove old datastore from datastore heartbeat

RK on Cluster (edit setting  => datastore hearbeating => here we have to uncheck datastore and click on OK)

unmount => detach(need to perform this step on all esxi host) => san team will unmap => start storage movement activity (poweroff storage) => move the storage => poweron => san team will map the datastore =>attach((need to perform this step on all esxi host) => mount the datastore

Register all VMs

Poweron All VMs if get message (moved it or copied it ) select Moved it.

Query2:

it won't throw any error, will work seemlessly.

Query3:

Yes we need to unregister all VMs and Templates before unmount a datastore.

regards

Mr VMware

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please find the right steps

Query1

before activity take VM export which are stored on datastore

Home => datastore and datastore cluster => select the datastore => VMs => add all the columns => take VM export

take latest RVTool export.

shutdown all VMs => Unregister all VMs and Templates => RK on Cluster (edit setting  => datastore hearbeating => here we have to select another datastore and click on OK)

to confirm new datastore is visible as datastore heartbeat select Cluster=> Sumamry => Custer Status => Heartbeat Datastore )

if we are able to see new datastore then now remove old datastore from datastore heartbeat

RK on Cluster (edit setting  => datastore hearbeating => here we have to uncheck datastore and click on OK)

unmount => detach(need to perform this step on all esxi host) => san team will unmap => start storage movement activity (poweroff storage) => move the storage => poweron => san team will map the datastore =>attach((need to perform this step on all esxi host) => mount the datastore

Register all VMs

Poweron All VMs if get message (moved it or copied it ) select Moved it.

Query2:

it won't throw any error, will work seemlessly.

Query3:

Yes we need to unregister all VMs and Templates before unmount a datastore.

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos