VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How LUN is presented to an ESX Host

Dear Team,

How to confirm weather LUN is present to an ESX host??

We have requested our SAN team to map one 900GB LUN to one of the esx host, these people have done the needful from their end (i.e. zoning part etc) and confirm the same to us . We have rescan the HBA adapter, still we are not able to see the same. SAN team requested us to take reboot and check, but it's prodcurion esx box we won't be able to reboot, hence want to confirm from vmware end , is there any way to confirm weather esx is able to see the lun or the requested LUN is presented properly to an esx host, Need ur help to understand this issue.

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you need to create a vmfs datastore on that lun then you can just follow the add storage wizard through - see this link for more info/screenshots: http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/vmware/35-esxserver/109-esxvmfsdatastore

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

first of all: Your SAN team is quite funny.

A reboot will just do the same you do now: trigger the rescan of the HBA.

However to please the SAN guys, I'd vMotion the VMs off of the host and do the reboot if it is possible without any VM downtime.

If not:

Your SAN team needs to do the following things:

1. configure zoning between the FC?! port in your esx box and the SAN array FC port in the FC-switches.

2. create a LUN on the SAN

3. configure volume mapping for the LUN, so the esx server is granted read&write access to the LUN

Now you have to:

4. rescan the HBA

So your part is quite simple Smiley Wink and it's most likely your SAN team made a silly mistake, like forgetting to save a config or did the change but didn't confirm it so it didn't went live, etc.

If you can't see the LUN on your esx host, you will have to make sure step 1 to 3 were done correctly.

Regards

iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Do you see the lun if you do 'add storage' on the storage config screen?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dear TIM,

Many thanks for steps by steps explanation Smiley Happy, I appreciate the same.

Dear iw123

Ahhhh!!!, I have forgotted to check the same in ADD Storage Wizard..... Yes i m able to see the same, Please help me what to do further.

regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you need to create a vmfs datastore on that lun then you can just follow the add storage wizard through - see this link for more info/screenshots: http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/vmware/35-esxserver/109-esxvmfsdatastore

0 Kudos