VMware Cloud Community
Zurattos
Contributor
Contributor

High availability without Shared Storage ?

Hello , 

I want to implement High availability on the TWO ESXI hosts I have but I don't have  a shared storage ?

Can I do that ? and Can I change my VMFS 6 datastore to shared storage ? 

Best Regards 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

vSphere HA requires Shared Storage. You cannot change a local VMFS Datastore to Shared Storage. You could use something like vSAN, but this would require a 3rd host. There are other (small / mid size company) storage solutions out there that may work with 2 nodes, but typically you would need probably some flash and maybe some more drives.

0 Kudos
Zurattos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks depping ,

Honestly this is what I'm trying to do I have two ESXI hosts from a company just for testing and I have DCUI access I mean the yellow and black screen to shutdown one of these ESXI hosts to test the high availability but it seems that is impossible without the shared storage ? 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You need shared storage, without shared storage you can't use HA.

0 Kudos
Zurattos
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks a lot my last question what are the types of shared storage ? 

0 Kudos
karl495
Contributor
Contributor

You can use NAS as NFS shared storage (some NAS also have iSCSI functionality for block storage services). Preferably, you may choose SAN (iSCSI or FC).

- For lab purposes, you may want to try iscsi with your available NIC or even 10G for production

0 Kudos
Zurattos
Contributor
Contributor

I have already VMFS can I use it as a shared storage ? 

0 Kudos
karl495
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the confusion, you can use external Network Storage like NAS or file Server with NFS shared directory.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/5.5/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-9282A8E0-2A93-4F9E...

0 Kudos