VMware Cloud Community
rafadcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help NFS Storage

(Translated by Google)

Hello

I have 2 ESXi connected by fiber optic cable to a switch and from this one with another fiber optic cable to a Synology NAS with 3xSSD disks in RAID5 and 2x SSD-M2 for cache. Nothing else is connected to this switch. The file system I use for virtual machines is NFS v3

rafadcp_2-1663921796630.png

In the ESXi I have a standard vswitch connected exclusively for this network of NFS disks and another vswitch for the VMs, management and vMotion.

rafadcp_3-1663921823647.png

When I do an analysis of disk latencies with the esxtop tool for a VM that has SQL installed, I find this:

rafadcp_0-1663921766164.png

There are users who complain about slowness and RAM memory, CPU and network there are no problems, the resources are low, but the write and read latencies show these peaks with these averages (msec) quite high.

Should I be worried? How could I improve these latencies?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
  • St

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rafadcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gracias,

Voy a halar con Synology a ver que opciones me dan y vuelvo a postear aquí.

------------------------------------

Thank you,

I'm going to talk to Synology to see what options they give me and I'll post here again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just look at esxtop to see where the latency occurs (GAVG / KAVG / DAVG), this indicates where the problem may reside: Guest / Hypervisor / Storage layer. That will help troubleshooting it. Wouldn't surprise me if the problem is in the storage layer (Synology). Are you pushing much traffic when you see these spikes?

0 Kudos
rafadcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

(Translated by Google)

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I export esxtop to a csv and open it with Windows perfmon, this is the same graph that I attached before but with the data of "Physical Disk NFS Volume"

rafadcp_0-1663929135635.png

The color red (driver) and green (guest) are the ones with the most averages and peaks.
Could the problem then be with the Synology NAS or the fiber - switch connection?
Thank you

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

could be either, but chances are a lot bigger that it is the Synology in my opinion. I assume the Synology has some perf monitoring capabilities.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hola.

Vi que sus capturas están en español, por lo cual mis sugerencias en este idioma.

Solo tiene una NIC para la conexión con el storage, esto representa un peligro ya que al fallar la NIC, el cable o el port del Switch externo, se pierde la conexión con el Storage.  Debería pensar en agregar otra NIC (o liberar alguna del otro Switch).

El Switch externo donde se conecta el ESXi hot y el Syslogic NAS tiene configuración alguna?

Las NICs en el ESXi host son de 10GB, el Switch externo y el Syslogic NAS tiene también ports de 10GB ?

Ha probado actualizar el Firmware de las NICs en el ESXi host y/o el Firmware en el Syslogic NAS ?

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
rafadcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gracias,

Voy a halar con Synology a ver que opciones me dan y vuelvo a postear aquí.

------------------------------------

Thank you,

I'm going to talk to Synology to see what options they give me and I'll post here again.

0 Kudos
rafadcp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello again
Doing some research on the internet, it seems to improve performance using NFS 4.1 with multipathing and Synology API for VMWare VAAI.
My 2 ESXi are version 7
What is your opinion?
Thanks.

0 Kudos