VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

Having issues getting vVOLs to work with 3PAR

Have a 3par 7200 running fw: 3.2.1.200

I have connected vCenter 6 on a HP BL460 G9 running vSphere to the 3PARs VASA url.  However I cannot get the PE to be visible to the ESXi host.  I run the following command:

esxcli storage core device list -–pe-only

And no PEs show up.

In Log Insight I am seeing these warnings:

WARNING: ScsiPath: 679: Sanity check failed for path vmhba34:C0:T1:L256. The path to a VVol PE comes from adapter vmhba34 which is not PE capable. Path dropped.

The G9 blade is using the 536FLB CNA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
30 Replies
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the errors of a fresh install of 6, with the latest VMware and HP Patches. I have a QL HBA ISP2532 (HP 82Q). I found this

VMware Compatibility Guide: I/O Device Search

I take it we are all waiting for right combination of HP and VMware patches.

0 Kudos
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor

update - HP has the drivers and firmware for the 82q as of June. I need to look into vvol further.

Has anyone updated their drivers and if so where there any issues?

0 Kudos
ryan_blueshore
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have Virtual Copy fully licensed on your array? This is a mandatory requirement to proceed with VVOLS and you will see nothing if this requirement is not met.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

If I am reading this correct:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=35349&deviceCat...

There are only 2 supported CNAs:

If this is correct any BL-460G9 using the onboard CNA to Flex modules will most likely not be supported.   I have a 630FLB in a new server and it does not support the Secondary LUNID function which appears to be required for vVOLs:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=211149...

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
fghuycan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have also the same warning (sanity check failed...) with HP BL660c and FlexFabric 534FLB (Broadcom) with fresh installed vSphere 6 although I updated the lastest driver 534FLB from HP web site.

But with HP BL660c and Flex Fabirc 554FLB (Emulex) operated normally. I think maybe this bug from HP driver.

0 Kudos
mathewandrson
Contributor
Contributor

I need to Mask all traffic coming from specific iSCSI or specific protocol type

/var/log # esxcli storage core claimrule list

Rule Class   Rule  Class    Type       Plugin     Matches

----------  -----  -------  ---------  ---------  ----------------------------------------

MP              0  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=usb

MP              1  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=sata

MP              2  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=ide

MP              3 runtime  transport  NMP        transport=block

MP              4  runtime  transport  NMP        transport=unknown

MP            101  runtime  vendor     MASK_PATH  vendor=DELL model=Universal Xport

MP            101  file     vendor     MASK_PATH  vendor=DELL model=Universal Xport

MP            200  runtime  location   MASK_PATH  adapter=vmhba33 channel=0 target=0 lun=0

MP            200  file     location   MASK_PATH  adapter=vmhba33 channel=0 target=0 lun=0

MP          65535  runtime  vendor     NMP        vendor=* model=*

/var/log #

/var/log #  esxcli storage core claimrule add --rule 380 -P NMP -t target -R iscsi --iqn iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:esx02-48f816e4  --lun 1

/var/log #  esxcli storage core claimrule add --rule 390 -P NMP -t target -R iscsi --iqn iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:esx02-48f816e4  --lun 2

/var/log #

/var/log esxcli storage core claimrule load

/var/log #   esxcli storage core claimrule run

0 Kudos
keatingja
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a resolution to this?

We are having the same problem but with the B-Series servers, I suspect the resolution will be the same.

Thanks,

Jared

0 Kudos
njecm
Contributor
Contributor

I did not, we have passed on using VVols for the moment, mostly due to cisco's lack of proper support/drivers.

0 Kudos
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check the following best practices:

HP 3PAR support

VMware support

HP 3PAR OS 3.2.1 MU2Patch 12

vSphere 6.0, vCenter Server 6.0

HP 3PAR MC 4.6.x

vSphere Web Client 6.0

HP 3PAR 3.2.1 CLI

esxcli (vSphere 6.0)

HP 3PAR Virtual Copy

vSphere Standard license

HP 3PAR Thin Provisioning

vCenter Server Standard

The above table summarises the requirements.  First and most obviously you need vSphere 6 and this needs to be licenced at vSphere Standard level. From the 3PAR side of things you need to be running 3PAR OS 3.2.1 MU2 or above, this effectively means that VVOLs are only available on the 7000 and 10,000 series models. Patch 12 for 3.2.1 is also a mandatory requirement for VVOLs, this patch ensures the consistency of the VM’s

Follow the KB http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2114975

0 Kudos
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hope my reply helps you

0 Kudos
johnabrahamuniv
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, burrowed around some more and here's the arrangement, the drivers you need on the worker side for some model CNAs in HP workers to help VVOLs with vSphere 6 have not yet been remembered for the HP pictures that are accessible for vSphere 6. Anyway they are remembered for the stock ESXi picture that you can download direct from VMware. So on the off chance that you utilize the VMware ESXi picture rather you ought to have the option to utilize VVOLs with 3PAR with no issues.

https://traininginchrompet.com
0 Kudos