VMware Cloud Community
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

HP P410 RAID controller and SSD

In my lab server currently have an HP P400 RAID controller, and it works ok. But I would like to have support for SSD drives, and have them presented to ESXi as such. At the moment SSDs are discovered as Non-SSD.

Can anyone confirm that if I upgrade to P410 controller, ESXi will discover SSD drives correctly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I bought a P410 because of this issue, but i upgraded to vCenter 5.5 before swapping controllers and it turns out that 5.5 correctly identifies SSD on P400.

I guess it also does with P410.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Smart Array P410, P411 controllers properly support them.

The Smart Array management application correctly shows "SSD drive" as a description with P410, 411 controllers.

Do not try to use older controllers like P800 or P400 - they are simply too slow and the whole new P410 cost like one SSD drive - you probably installing SSD to get more speed. 2-3 SSD drives will saturate P400 or P800 controller, and they only run SATA at 1.5Gbps - that is too slow. You need a controller that supports SATA at 3Gbps (SAS at 6Gbps).

Here is a page to help you setting them up

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3902574&spf...

hope that helped .

Best regards .

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I bought a P410 because of this issue, but i upgraded to vCenter 5.5 before swapping controllers and it turns out that 5.5 correctly identifies SSD on P400.

I guess it also does with P410.

0 Kudos
riahc3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So can someone confirm that the HP P410 works in ESXi 5.5 ?

0 Kudos