VMware Cloud Community
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

GBs vmdk reporting less than a Meg

Hi,

When I browse the datastore of one of my VM files using datastore browser, the vmdk file for that VM is reporting incorrect size of 0.47Kb.

The file is less than a meg in size. but vmdk should be over GBs.

Any information relating to this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Skynet Corporation Limited
0 Kudos
11 Replies
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It look like you look at the descriptor file, take a look in same directory, there should be a file _flat.vmdk roughly the same size as your virtual hard drive

0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks! I understand the concept of the descriptor file, however it is only this particular VM has such a problem, as for the others, the vSphere will read the descriptor as the whole flat.vmdk and reporting a correct provisioned size, except this one.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see both files (the -flat.vmdk) in the datastore browser?

If so, check the descriptor file, whether there is something wrong with the name of the flat file or with the descriptor file at all.

André

0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

No, I don't see both .vmdk and -flat.vmdk in the datastore browser. However both files are visible in the CLI console.

The VM and power up without problem and the vmdk can be mounted by other VMs under the vSphere client. Except it is not reporting a correct provisioned size.

What could go wrong?

Grant

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you have access to the console, you can compare the file permissions (ls -la) for the files *. vmdk & *- flat.vmdk.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Grant,

please post the output of "ls -alsi *.vmdk" as well as the vmdk descriptor file. Attach the vmdk file, rather than cut & paste the contents.

André

0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thank you very much for your suggestion, attached, please find the descriptor vmdk file for your reference.

16785284 0 -rw------ 1 root root 2199023254528 Oct 7 01:42 smbsrv.skynet.com.hk-flat.vmdk

20979588 64 -rw------ 1 root root 515 Oct 6 13:44 smbsrv.skynet.com.hk.vmdk

Thanks very much and I look forward for your further suggetions soon.

Cheers!

Grant

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As far as I can see, there's nothing wrong in the descriptor file. The only thing I'm not sure, is how ddb.thinProvisioned = "0" came into this file. Usually this entry only exists for thin provisioend disk with a value of "1". However I tried to reproduce everything on ESXi4 and even on ESXi3 and everything was fine on both systems (even HWversion 7 did not make any problems on ESXi3).

What you can try, is to rename the descriptor file and create a new one using the description in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002511

André

0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre, thanks for your information, do you mean u created the same size VM on ur host but there was no similar issue just like what I described?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, I created a smaller VM because I don't have 2 TB minus 1024 Bytes free on any of my datastores and also don't have a datastore with an 8 MB block size in my test environment. What I did was modifying the vmdk with the different entries to see if one of them causes the issue. The size of your vmdk should be ok, since the maximum vmdk size is 2 TB - 512 Bytes.

BTW: Which version/build of ESX(i) do you use?

André

0 Kudos
GrantLui
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Sorry for this late, I'm using ESXi 4 U2, haven't solve the problem yet.

Grant

0 Kudos