VMware Cloud Community
complang
Contributor
Contributor

Files missing from datastores

This is my home hypervisor, so all storage is DAS non-raid.

I recently had a crash of the disk containing all guests. It's now installed with a new disk for guests, but when i look under storage/datastores, it's even less fun than the crash.

All my disk seems to be empty, even though there should be a vmdk filling all disks.

vmdkmiss.PNG

If i log in via SSH the result is the same.

How could this have happened? And is there any way to restore the vmdks?

11 TB of data lost? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
11 Replies
complang
Contributor
Contributor

Can't someone at least have an idea? It's pretty frustrating situation.  

0 Kudos
complang
Contributor
Contributor

Still searching for an answer. How can flat-files just dissapear from datastores? And not just one but 8 flat's *poff* gone.

One example, a disk only containing a .locker-folder, that's it!

locker.PNG

0 Kudos
complang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi vmware,

Should I consider those 11TB of data "dead"? I want to use the storage if I can't get the data back.

I still wonder how 8 vmdk's just can dissapear.    

0 Kudos
complang
Contributor
Contributor

Up!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I recently had a crash of the disk containing all guests. It's now installed with a new disk for guests, but when i look under storage/datastores, it's even less fun than the crash.

What happened in the disk-crash?

Did you use VMFS extents?

Could you not restore from the backup?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
complang
Contributor
Contributor

S.M.A.R.T started reporting errors, and when I restarted guests they randomly didn't boot and so on. I couldn't copy the guests to a new disk, so I had do replace the disk and install new guests.

No extents. Just a single VMDK on a single disk, KISS on a home server/white box.

No, i don't have any backups of the home servers "vacation movies" disks. It's simply too expensive to backup 11TB on "private cash" basis.

I did count on loosing one disk or so, even though i replace the disks once every second year. But here it's obvously something very different that has happened.

0 Kudos
complang
Contributor
Contributor

+1

0 Kudos
complang
Contributor
Contributor

Up and away... 11TB = dead?

0 Kudos
complang