VMware Cloud Community
ChicaneUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fiber Channel paths have blank target ID's..

We're experiencing a weird problem with our Fiber Channel / SAN setup on our vSphere servers. We recently upgraded 4 of them from ESX 3.5 to vSphere 4 and have noticed that, when managing the paths for these devices, we see that out of two paths, the Target field is blank for one of the paths. This occurs on 3 out of 4 of the hosts. Problem is, we're not sure if we ever observed this behaviour when they were running ESX 3.5 - and we're not sure if this is a vSphere quirk or whether it's a fault of our setup.

Thing is, the path does work fine. We run these two paths in MRU and we can merrily failover between the two without any problems but the target value remains blank.

Interestingly I turned up this KB article from VMware: - this relates to iSCSI specifically which we're not using but does sound identical. Wondering if the bug does also affect FC devices as well as iSCSI?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
binoche
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

as the kb mentions, if esxcfg-mpath -l reports no path missing, this should be harmless;

can esxcfg-rescan -d vmhba resolve this blank id?

binoche, VMware VCP, Cisco CCNA

ChicaneUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Confirmed that this does appear to be the same bug. Checking a specific volume through the vSphere client, I can only see one target - the other target is blank. However SSH'ing into the server and running:

esxcfg-mpath -b -d <device>

Shows me the paths and targets correctly. So it's not just iSCSI devices affected by this bug it seems.

0 Kudos