VMware Cloud Community
gmoses
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FC Array and iSCSI Array presented to Host

We are in the process of migrating off a legacy fiber channel SAN to a new 10Gig iSCSI array, and would like to use Storage vMotion through the dual-homed host to move the data from one array to another. This host is currently running ESX 3.5. I haven't been able to find any documentation that comes out and says you can't use the two different methods together. Is this possible in 3.5, vSphere 4, both, or neither?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Absolutely possible.

I have an OpenSolaris storage server at home, presenting LUN to ESX through both FC/iSCSI and NFS. I use Storage VMotion to move VMs among the datastores all the time. In 3.5 you need to use command line or third party GUI to SVMotion, in 4.0, SVMotion GUI is builtin.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't have FC but you shouldn't have trouble adding multiple datastore connected types. It isn't unusual to connect different storage protocols.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
dilidolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Absolutely possible.

I have an OpenSolaris storage server at home, presenting LUN to ESX through both FC/iSCSI and NFS. I use Storage VMotion to move VMs among the datastores all the time. In 3.5 you need to use command line or third party GUI to SVMotion, in 4.0, SVMotion GUI is builtin.

0 Kudos
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

absolutely no problems at all having FC and iSCSI conected to the same host or cluster.

Thats the beauty of using ESX where you can connect multiple storage protocols and can use them all.

As mentioned you can get the GUI Svmotion tool for 3.5 from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/vip-svmotion/

Please be aware using this tool is not support by vmware.

Regards

DC

james_08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can also download Veeam's Fast SCP and use that to copy the VM's over.

Just add the ESX or Vcentre server to it with the presented storage, then copy between the two. I just finished a FC to iSCSI migration from 3.5 to 4 also.

0 Kudos