VMware Cloud Community
Rickinfl
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 4.1 Datastore keeps creating _ folders

Ok I'm totally going crazy and I'm at my wits end here!  lol

I moved my Datastore from a old server to a new server. I recreated the Virtual Machine and attached it back to the correct datastore folder. Now for some reason Esxi has grown a brain and decided it wants to start creating folders on it on. So for example

Virtual Machine:  Windows7

I browse the datastore and this is what folders I see:

Windows7

Windows7_1

Windows7_2

Inside the Windows7 Folder I have these extensions:

Windows7.vmx

Windows7.vmdk

couple Windows7.log files

Windows7.nvram

Windows7_1.vmdk

Windows7.vmxf

Windows7.vmsd

Inside the _1 Folder I have this:

Windows7.vmx

vmware.log

Windows7_1.nvram

Windows7_1.vmxf

Windows7_1.vmsd

Inside the _2 Folder I have this:

Windows7.vmx

vmware.log

Windows7_2.nvram

Windows7_2.vmxf

Windows7_2.vmsd

Windows7_2.vswp < This is 10gig

I've tried twice as you can tell.. This is driving me crazy!

If anyone can tell me how to fix this that would be Great! I just want the _ folders Gone! and everything to be back to normal.

Thanks You.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

that look's interesting. Please attach the latest log files to a reply post to see whether they explain this behavior.

Btw, how exactly did you do this: "I moved my Datastore from a old server to a new server"? Did you copy the files or did you swap the HDD(s)?

André

0 Kudos
Rickinfl
Contributor
Contributor

Which log file? I'm new to Esxi.

I used the Datastore Browser to download to a NFS then on the new box I uploaded the folder from the NFS to the new box. Created the VM and attached it to the database.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm talking about the vmware.log files which are in the folders you mentioned. Not sure why there is a Windows7.log in of of the folders, however if it contains similar entries as the vmware.log files attach this file too. Please rename the files (add the folder name) before uploading to the forum.

André

0 Kudos
Rickinfl
Contributor
Contributor

Well. I can't post my .log files because of security reasons.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case take a look at the most recent one (assuming this is the one used by your VM) and check whether you find references to the other folders. This should help identifying the cause of the issue.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This appears to be the behaviour of having removed VM's from inventory and added a new VM with the same name. It could also be from a cloning operation. The _# gets appended to a file when a duplicate file exists in inventory.

Regards,

Corey

0 Kudos